Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connection drops randomly throughout the day ONLY on my PC.

Hi, my name is Spencer and I am having dreadful issues that I can not fix easily. I have a Windows 8.1 PC and since the day I got it, I have been getting internet issues several times a day on bad days. I have Comcast's maximum residential speed (150 Mbps but Ookla says I'm getting almost 200 on good days). When I contacted Comcast they tried everything in THEIR power but said it was the Apple Air Port's fault. So, i am here asking for relief from this nightmare.

Good Luck,

Spencer

Dell Upgraded Desktop-OTHER, Windows 8

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 8:43 AM

9 replies

Oct 12, 2015 11:28 AM in response to Sergeant Dias

Thanks, we also asked about what the make and model number of your modem might be......(see previous message to confirm).....so if you could provide that information, that would be helpful.

In the meantime, to start the troubleshooting process, power off the AirPort Extreme and connect your computer directly to the modem for a day or two and check the connection from time to time for stability.

If you notice any connection drops during this "test" period, that points to a possible defective modem, or the wiring from the utility pole into the junction box and finally to the wall jack may be exhibiting some corrosion or poor connection issues.

We assume that you have already replaced the Ethernet cable from your modem to the AirPort Extreme to make sure that you do not have a defective cable.

If there are no connection drops during your 1-2 day "test", then we can proceed to troubleshooting on the AirPort Extreme. Post back at that time.

In the meantime, if you have an Apple Store near your home, it would be good idea to take it in to let the folks there take a look to make sure that everything is operating correctly.

Oct 13, 2015 12:38 PM in response to Sergeant Dias

Thanks, but you provided the model number of your Apple AirPort Extreme wireless router......not a modem. Unless your AirPort Extreme connects directly to a wall Ethernet port, you have a modem or gateway there as well.....a device likely provided by your Internet Service Provider.

If you have a simple modem, it will look something like this on the back panel:

User uploaded file

If you have a modem/router, which is also called a gateway, the device will look something like this:

User uploaded file

Until we know more about what modem or modem/router you might have, we are kind of stuck.....since there are some settings that will need to be checked on the AirPort Extreme to make sure that they are correct. These settings will vary depending on the type of modem that you have.

So, as we said, we're kind of stuck at this point, until we know more about how your Internet signal reaches the AirPort Extreme.

Connecting a computer directly to a modem is a basic troubleshooting step that determines whether the modem is working correctly or not. If you are not able to connect a computer directly to the modem to test that way, we are not sure how else to test to make sure that the modem is operating correctly. We are very surprised that your provider did not ask you to do this when you were working with them.

Oct 13, 2015 1:31 PM in response to Sergeant Dias

Thanks for the additional information.

Cisco DPC3008 is much more than a simple "modem".....it is a modem/router or gateway device.....which makes troubleshooting more complicated.

If it is not possible to connect a computer directly to the Cisco DPC3008 gateway to test that way, then we must unfortunately leave out a very important troubleshooting step.

The next troubleshooting step would be to connect your PC directly to an Ethernet LAN <--> port on the AirPort Extreme using a wired Ethernet cable connection for a day or two and check the connection from time to time to make sure that it has not dropped.

We use this type of troubleshooting step for this simple reason.......if the connection is not stable using a wired Ethernet cable......then it will also never be stable when you try to use a wireless connection. In other words, you must have a good wired connection before you have a good wireless connection.

Are you able to connect the PC directly to one of the LAN <--> ports on the AirPort Extreme and test that way?

Connection drops randomly throughout the day ONLY on my PC.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.