Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Mavericks OSX 10.9.5 and QuickTime 10.3 but can longer open my .mov files

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 8:54 AM

14 replies

Oct 12, 2015 2:02 PM in response to PACoops

Hello PACoops,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

You mention that you can no longer open your .mov files in Mavericks using QuickTime 10.3. I'm wondering--did they work in Mavericks and QuickTime 10.3 before, or did you recently upgrade to this version? If they worked before, what may have changed between then and now?

Along with these questions, there are a few steps that can help figure out if your software is misbehaving, or if the .mov files are encoded in a format that QuickTime 10 doesn't recognize.

You can make sure QuickTime itself is working by downloading and playing "sample_iTunes.mov" from QuickTime Sample files.

You can also Get Info on one your .mov files and see what codec(s) are listed in the More Info section.

Also, I see you came from the Installing QuickTime Player 7 on your Mac page. After following the steps in that article, can you play the files in QuickTime 7?

Feel free to reply with the info above and the results of the steps I mentioned. It'll help give a clearer picture of what's going on.

Cheers.

Oct 13, 2015 2:25 AM in response to Brett L

Hi Brett L,

it is since upgrading to Mavericks that SOME of my .mov files no longer play in QuickTime 10 or any other media.

I was going to download QT 7 player but then I read it will only work on Leopard and you have to pay for it anyway.

Some of the .movies will still play, here is the codecs from one which will not Convert or Play. (XVID, MPEG Layer 3)

I will try and find a free QT 7 version and download and try it.

I have been using my iMac for 7 years and it has never even bombed out until I updated to Mavericks, now I get regular bombs and have to keep restarting, Apple have a lot to answer for, this OS obviously has lots of major faults, they should not release new Operating Systems until they have been extensively tested. Basically they have ruined my iMac.

Now they have another OS update El Capitan I wonder if that is CRAP as well.

Thanks for trying to help.

Oct 13, 2015 3:04 AM in response to PACoops

Hi again Brett L,

I downloaded QT 7 player but it does not play the .movies.

I found a Media Player called VLC, it is a free and open source Media Player, Encoder and Streamer and it plays all my files without converting anything.

I think the XVID codec and .avi is the problem now with QT, basically QTtime does not support these codecs.

Thanks for your help, I would still be interested in what your thoughts are, thanks again.

Oct 13, 2015 4:08 PM in response to PACoops

I downloaded QT 7 player but it does not play the .movies.

Mavericks has two separate QT support structures embedded in the operating system. The newer QT X structure only supports the standard codec package that comes with the system installer and Apple "Pro" video editing add-on codecs. The older, "legacy" compatible QT 7 structure supports most (but not all) of the codecs supported by QT X but can also access third-party and proprietary codecs which the user may choose to install, e.g., DivX, XviD, 3ivX, WMV, etc. As indicated above, your 3ivX/MP3 files would probably play in QT 7 if you installed the Perian code package.

I found a Media Player called VLC, it is a free and open source Media Player, Encoder and Streamer and it plays all my files without converting anything.

The VLC player has its own codec support built into the player and so it does not need to relay on your system's codec configuration as QTX and QT7 do. If all you want to do is play your files without conversion and don't need "native" player support for Apple devices (iPod 5th Gen, iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, TV, etc.), then this player is probably your best solution. If your goal is the conversion of your older file formats to OS/IOS "native" compatible formats, then the free HandBrake app would likely be your best bet here. Like VLC, HandBrake contains its own built-in codec support based on FFmpegX which was, I believe also used in the Perian codec package for QT 7.

I think the XVID codec and .avi is the problem now with QT, basically QTtime does not support these codecs.

AVI is a generic "legacy" file container—not a compression format. It is still "natively" supported by QTX and QT7 but most of the video codecs used to compress data are not. (E.g., properly created MJPEG/PCM AVI files are still "natively" supported.) I believe XviD, DivX, and 3ivX are all third-party/proprietary variations of MPEG4 compression which do not/may not adhere to JVT standards which are required for QTX/7 player player compatibility.

User uploaded file

Oct 14, 2015 3:54 AM in response to Jon Walker

Thanks for the info Jon.

It does not make any sense to me why Apple do not include all of these codecs as Standard into all of their QuickTime versions, it's always left to the user to sort out why things don't work with new Operating Systems, surely they should be testing all these variables before they tell us to Upgrade to this and that, because it's wonderful and all it usually brings is pain, loads of time wasted by the user trying to find the solutions to the problems Apple have created.

I've been using Macs since they came out in 1984 but Apple are definitely not the great company they used to be.

They are obviously too busy creating the next brilliant OS X before they have sorted out all the problems they've created in the previous ones.

Thanks again for your reply.

Oct 14, 2015 8:38 AM in response to PACoops

It does not make any sense to me why Apple do not include all of these codecs as Standard into all of their QuickTime versions,

I don't work for Apple or know their actual reasoning, but... Apple probably does't include most codecs because it doesn't hold copyrights for them and it would, be illegal to do so without permission and/or proper compensation. Besides, even then Apple would not be in control of the codec which seems to be key to Apple's modus operandi, historically speaking. And, lastly, Apple, like most evolving software purveyors, is moving from the use of multiple codecs having single target use to the use of a single codec having multiple target uses.

it's always left to the user to sort out why things don't work with new Operating Systems,

If you wish to use codecs which are unsupported by the AVFoundation structure embedded in Mac OS X v10.9 thru v10.11, then you must use a player that can access the codecs necessary for playback or convert the data to compression formats that are "natively" QTX/QL compatible. Alternative players fall into two categories—those that include their own built-in codec support and those that can access a user's system codec configuration. QT 7 was and currently retains this secondary capability if you wish to use it but QT X does not. Basically, Apple is modernizing its own software—which is why other, third-party software no longer works the same as it once did. Apple is not in the business of developing software for other companies and is unlikely to devote time, energy, and expense to the development of support mechanisms for them.

The main problem here is that Apple decided to adopt H.264 as the default codec for its OS and IOS devices/software back in 2005 but you ( or whoever encoded your files) have chosen not to use it as your default compression format. (I adopted its use at that time when I bought my first 60 MB 5th generation iPod and decided to store my complete Doctor Who library on it in the original 320x240 resolution and have used this codec ever since without problem.) This is the "native" format Apple expects users to use by default. If you elect to go a different route, then Apple apparently feels no obligation to support each and every possible third-party/proprietary compression format available and, IMHO, it would be ludicrous to think or expect otherwise.

surely they should be testing all these variables before they tell us to Upgrade to this and that, because it's wonderful and all it usually brings is pain, loads of time wasted by the user trying to find the solutions to the problems Apple have created.

I'm sure Apple knew what to expect. After all, they began degrading the use of "legacy" codecs already built into the QT 7 embedded support structure with the release of Mac OS X v10.7 when the active use of many codecs was turned off by default and if a user wanted to continue using them for export, he or she had to turn them back on manually. Basically, Apple is in the middle of the development of a completely new version of QT to replace the older "classic" version. This new version will be able to support higher resolutions to include HD, 2K, UHD, 4K, 8K and possibly beyond. It also now supports both program and transport stream files, as well as, AC3 audio natively. (However, AC3 and DTS surround audio still requires an external decoder for proper use and is normally limited to use with TV playback via the user's home entertainment system.) Pundits indicate this development process will likely take a decade to complete and create many problems for those who resist the changes required for continued QT X use during the current phase of this transition.

I've been using Macs since they came out in 1984 but Apple are definitely not the great company they used to be. They are obviously too busy creating the next brilliant OS X before they have sorted out all the problems they've created in the previous ones.

There do not appear to be any obvious changes to QT X between Yosemite and El Capitan requiring an update to the QT X player app itself. I suspect Apple may feel it has reached some sort of stability plateau at this point. Basically, I have adopted a "go along to get along" philosophy here. I am not tied to any particular compression format combination so using Apple's choice of MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) video is just as easy for me as transcoding my master content to any other format.

All choices have consequences and I don't like the consequences of using third-party codecs which Apple is unlikely to support—so I don't use them. I too lament the fact that Apple has done away with its use of open user codec configurations for the newest three Mac operating systems. However, it is obvious that Apple's goal is not the same as VLC's. Apple is not trying to create a player that supports the widest possible range of different compression formats but rather one that supports its own "native" compression formats. I don't really expect many will adopt this laissez-faire approach since each user's personal opinions are dictated by their individual playback requirements and/or a willingness to "keep up" with changes. I do hope, however, than any honest opinions expressed here will not be attacked arbitrarily simply because they are different from the opinions held by someone else. All opinions have some value as weighted by each individual.

User uploaded file

Oct 16, 2015 1:52 AM in response to Jon Walker

Thanks for all the info Jon, you obviously know a lot about this subject and many others no doubt.

Most computer users do not get deep into this sort of information, if we are told to upgrade to this and that because it is wonderful, then that is what we do and we expect everything to work as it did before upgrading, but as we all know it does not.

I still feel that it is Apple's obligation to sort all of these problems out before releasing new software etc., but I also know it will never happen, so most of us will spend hours sorting out the mess we are left with.

Thanks again for your detailed information.

Oct 16, 2015 9:48 AM in response to PACoops

Most computer users do not get deep into this sort of information, if we are told to upgrade to this and that because it is wonderful, then that is what we do and we expect everything to work as it did before upgrading, but as we all know it does not.

Major system upgrades seldom come without some sort of problems. That is why we normally recommend users hold off until others provide feedback before adopting a new system. However, since Mavericks was initially released in October of 2013, I am surprised that you were unaware of this issue—especially since it was so widely publicized. That is, somebody really dropped the ball in the initial release and most of Apple's own "Pro" codecs were left "high and dry" when it came to playback support. Many professional users whose livelihood depended on the use of these codecs were very irate and very verbose regarding this problem. Normal users who failed to convert to H.264/AAC compression formats between 2005 and 2013 were also caught by surprise and were just as loud regarding the situation but, of course, could easily switch to a third-party app like VLC to get around the problem.

I still feel that it is Apple's obligation to sort all of these problems out before releasing new software etc., but I also know it will never happen, so most of us will spend hours sorting out the mess we are left with.

Unfortunately, business companies rarely disclose what their products won't do. That is why I tend to adopt the use of products and/or features built into or that come with the operating system I am using. I.e., if I use Apple's generic file container and encode my data using the codecs supplied by Apple, then I would agree with your reasoning and expect Apple to ensure playback compatibility. However, as a self-proclaimed Apple user since 1984, you might also be expected to remember how you got your MOV and/or AVI files using those same third-party codes to play in "classic" versions of QT in the first place—5, 10, 12, or more years ago. Unfortunately, many users who have installed third-party codecs over the years often forget that they have done so and may even come to believe that everything they can play in QT 7 is "natively" supported by Apple's own software. As to Apple's own "legacy" codecs, they continue to be playback supported "as is" using QT 7 and remain conversion compatible with QT X.

In any case, MOV file problems come in many forms—security issues, codec support issues, file or data corruptions, player programming issues, user setting inconsistencies, etc. So always remember to include media info or a sample snippet if possible.

User uploaded file

Nov 13, 2015 4:03 PM in response to Jon Walker

Hi Jon,

I'm having the similar issue. I had my data transferred to my new iMac last year late December. I have a lot of photos and HAD a lot of videos. (hard drive was failing and it seems a lot of videos did not come over) I have not had a lot of time until recently to check the videos that did/did not transfer. I am so disappointed at the number of videos that have been lost ! and moreso, now the videos that I cannot play. I downloaded the sample file you suggested (thank you !) and it played in VLC. It appears that the videos I cannot access that are currently on my new computer are .avi files possibly taken with my Casio Camera (?)

Do you have a suggestion as to an app I might need to use to view these files? (and WHERE I should download) I have read A LOT about different apps that might play them but I am very cautious when downloading anything that is a 3rd party app.

Thank you so much !

Dee

Nov 14, 2015 5:41 AM in response to PACoops

Do you have a suggestion as to an app I might need to use to view these files? (and WHERE I should download) I have read A LOT about different apps that might play them but I am very cautious when downloading anything that is a 3rd party app.

As Pete already mentioned, VLC is probably the most popular free media player download on the internet and comes in versions supporting most popular operating systems—including Mac OS and IOS. This is the easiest way to go if all you want to do is play your files without having to perform any conversions—especially if you simply tell your system to automatically open AVI file types using it when double clicked at the Finder level. On the other hand, If you prefer to convert your AVI files to QT compatible formats, then I would recommend the free Handbrake conversion utility. Most users keep both apps installed to optimize their options. Both apps are based on the FFmpeg cross-platform encoding, transcoding, and decoding framework. Virtually any app based on this framework would probably suit your needs. So you should be free to select alternative apps based on the same framework that might have a more appealing graphic user interface with some degree of confidence.

User uploaded file

Nov 14, 2015 7:46 AM in response to Jon Walker

Thank you both for your response !I have found I do have VLC already in my apps. It is version 1.1.12- (If I update it to newest version, will it still open my AVI files?)

If I drag a MOV(avi file) into it, it opens the movie file, and plays. If try to put the file into iPhoto it states it cannot be read. I am trying to put the files on my iMac that I found on the Camera cards. Should I just make a folder that can be found in "All my files" or is there a

better system for finding these once Ioaded? Also, you are right it would certainly be advantageous to have the VLC player automatically

open the files. So, how do I tell my system to automatically open AVI with the double clicked?

Thank you for your help !

Dee

Nov 14, 2015 10:26 AM in response to Dee33k

If I update it to newest version, will it still open my AVI files?

Yes. The only problem would be trying to install a version VLC that is not compatible with the operating system installed on your computer. In this case, the break point would be Leopard (Mac OS X v10.5) as opposed to any system that can run Snow Leopard (Mac OS X v10.6) or later.

If I drag a MOV(avi file) into it, it opens the movie file, and plays. If try to put the file into iPhoto it states it cannot be read. I am trying to put the files on my iMac that I found on the Camera cards.

All QT based applications are being reprogrammed to rely on QT X structures embedded in the Mac OS X operating system. These updated apps no longer rely on the QT 7 structure and its ability to use codecs installed by the user to play proprietary or third-party compression formats. VLC avoids this problem by having it's own codec support built into the player itself and does not have to rely a user's "system codec configuration." The only major problem in using VLC would normally be in the playback of proprietary compression formats for which there is no "open source" decoder available in the FFmpeg framework. In short, the VLC media player is about as close to a "universal" player as is available.

Should I just make a folder that can be found in "All my files" or is there a better system for finding these once Ioaded?

That would depend on how you plan to "manage" the content. If you plan to use Photos or iTunes, it would probably be better to covert the video files to QT X compatible compression formats. On the other hand, if you don't really need to "manage" the videos using a particular app, then you can simply import or copy videos to a particular folder or drive and use VLC for playback.

Also, you are right it would certainly be advantageous to have the VLC player automatically open the files. So, how do I tell my system to automatically open AVI with the double clicked?

Each document file—in this case, each video file—can be flagged to open using a particular media player when double-clicked in the Finder. This can be done on a file-by-file basis or you can designate an entire file type class (i.e., all files having a particular file extension) is to be played in a particular media player. To do this, just open the "Get Info" window for the file you want to modify.

User uploaded file

In the above case, the sample AVI file video can be modified to automatically open and play using the VLC media player by selecting a new default "Open with:" app in the indicated pop-up box. Closing the "Get Info" window after making your pop-up selection will force this video to open in the VLC player.

User uploaded file

On the other hand, if you press the "Change All..." button before closing the "Get Info" window, than all video files with the same file extension as the "Get Info" file will be opened and played in the selected default media player—in this case AVI.

User uploaded file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.