Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External DVD Drive (LG) Won't Work

I have a brand new 5k Retina iMac with no internal DVD drive. I am on my second external DVD drive, which is an LG Slim Portable DVD Writer. It will not work to burn DVDs. Nor did the first one I tried. I have no idea what's going on. Is it El Capitan? Or the DVD burner? It wastes the DVD but won't burn with iDVD! What could the issue be? I need to burn DVDs for my work and am out of options except for trying a third DVD drive...

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 10:47 AM

8 replies

Oct 12, 2015 11:44 AM in response to librahim

I would first verify the device you have is compantible with the version of OS X you have installed. Because LG makes many models you need to check the system requirements for the model of DVD drive you purchased. Apple makes it's own external DVD drive, this will work. Have you considered getting that one, it's available at:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD564LL/A/apple-usb-superdrive

Oct 12, 2015 4:00 PM in response to librahim

I recently purchased this one:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3F82SD24S/

I believe that one actually has an LG drive in it although they market it as their own brand. I agree re. the Apple Superdrive (or any slim drive for that matter) - it is not as reliable and a tray is easier to position the media rather than a slot drive.

I'd also caution using iDVD - it has not been supported for 2 OS versions and I have found it to be somewhat unreliable with both Yosemite and El Capitan. I will usually use it to assemble my final project with cool menus and transitions, but then I use Roxio Toast to burn it. Have you tried the free app Burn - it is rather limited, but, if you've processed it and save it as a Video_TS folder, it would hopefully work. You could try the Burn app just to see if the DVD burner will work using that.

Oct 13, 2015 8:20 PM in response to babowa

I'm having the same problem.

LG model BH14NS40 optical (14x BR burner) arrived from OWC in their enclosure today. It will not work on any USB port on the Retina iMac nor from either Thunderbolt 2 port with a TB-to-FW800 adapter and cable, and when I use the latter as soon as the tray comes all the way out it immediately retracts and goes back into the drive. I'm running Yosemite 10.10.5; any suggestions on what to do?

External DVD Drive (LG) Won't Work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.