Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Insert photo into Pages text, in newsletter

I publish a newsletter for a club and work in Pages on my iMac. All are running the latest software updates.

Since El Capitan, I can no longer insert and place photos into copy, for the copy to flow around the photo. I have tried putting the copy in first then adding the photo, and putting the photo in first and adding the copy. I end up with the copy over the photo. I have even tried putting the photo in and retyping the copy in the space, but it just runs on top of the photo.

Also, I work with columns -- 2-3 on a page, and this is also difficult.

I would appreciate any help in moving pictures into a text box of copy, with a headline.

Are there Pages instructions anywhere?

Thanks,

Carol Corley

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 10:25 AM

3 replies

Oct 12, 2015 11:14 AM in response to Carolcxe

When you insert the image into your document, the default settings for it are an Object Placement of Move with Text, and Text Wrap that is set to Automatic. Those settings are found at the top of the Format panel : Arrange tab.

With the default settings, you can still drag your image around and the text will flow around the image, providing the image is moved vertically along either margin/column boundary, otherwise the text is forced above and below your image. Once you change the Text Flow to Around, then the text gets the clue and will flow around our document wherever you drag it. There is fine tuning of text distance from your image just below the Text Wrap selector.

The Pages v5.5.3 Help menu (Pages Help) offers some guidance in the section Add Images, Shapes, and media. The first item in that section is Place objects with text, which is what I have described in paragraph two here.

Oct 12, 2015 11:31 AM in response to VikingOSX

I tried, but I don't see those choices. I have text set up in a text box, and when I drag the image into the box, it is very large and the text disappears. When I make the image a smaller appropriate size, the text remains gone and I can't find it.

The arrange tab does not give me the option to choose text flow to Around. But thanks for trying.

Oct 12, 2015 12:06 PM in response to Carolcxe

You cannot drag an inserted image into a Text box, but you can drag an image above the Text box layer, and achieve the same effect. In order to do that, you need to select the Image, and then in the Arrange tab, set Text Wrap to None. Now, the image won't attempt to push your Text box out of the way, and will simply glide above it. Select the Text box and the image and then from the Arrange tab, Group.

Text boxes and Shapes, when selected, activate a Style tab in the Format panel. From the Style tab, you can choose an Image Fill, Scale to Fill, and then choose your image. The Text box or Shape will then have a background image that you can type over. Unfortunately, the Opacity slider does not work solely on the image to promote text stand out — eveything fades.

The Arrange tab operates on the selected object, be that Text box, Image, or Shape. The Text Wrap in the Arrange tab has nothing to do with the text inside the Text box.

Insert photo into Pages text, in newsletter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.