Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to REINSTALL OS?

hi- i have been attempting a total empty/clean out of my laptop and then reset or reinstall a new OS --> so that someone new can take over this computer as theirs. tried several times to follow the steps posted on apple site (see below), but not obtaining same results. 1)holding Command+R does nothing during grey screen. 2)so i logged on and was able to perform the Disk Utility/Erase steps 2-5.... BUT 6)there is no option that i see for "Reinstall OS X"..... so i'm stuck with a nice empty hardrive (i think) but still with my old OS and still with my name & password owning the computer... hmmm

here's excerpt from apple support:

Important: To reinstall OS X, you must be connected to the Internet.

1. In the menu bar, choose Apple menu > Restart. Once your Mac restarts (and the gray screen appears), hold down the Command and R keys.
  2. Select Disk Utility, then click Continue.
  3. Select your startup disk on the left, then click the Erase tab.
  4. Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format menu, enter a name, then click Erase.
    Important: Erasing the disk removes all the information from the disk. Be sure to back up the information you want to keep to an external device.

5. After the disk is erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility.
  6. Select Reinstall OS X, click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions.

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 11:26 AM

4 replies

Oct 12, 2015 1:44 PM in response to tracey from SF

You are correct, that technique won't work on an iBook or any Mac running an OS X version prior to Lion. What you need to do is to locate its original, grey System Install disc. Insert it, shut down the Mac, and restart it while holding the C key. You can go of that key when it appears the Mac is booting from the optical drive.

Then, you can pick up the instructions from Step 2.

You will not be able to do anything without that disc. If you no longer have it, obtain a replacement by contacting Apple. You will need your iBook's serial number and a form of payment (it's reasonable).

How to REINSTALL OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.