Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to close a MAC email account

I have a few mac email address. I forgot how to close these accounts.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 10:46 AM

12 replies

Oct 12, 2015 2:03 PM in response to Elizabeth Tu

You can't actually close iCloud accounts (I'm assuming that you had converted DotMac/MobileMe to iCloud - if the addresses were working recently you must have. If you didn't, and have not been using them, they are closed anyway - messages to them would bounce.)

If they are currently working addresses in an iCloud account or accounts you can delete them if they are aliases, but if they are the primary address (i.e. the ext before the '@' is the same as the main @icloud.com address) you cannot delete them. If you don't want to use them you could set up a Rule on the iCloud website to move all messages to the addresses in question to the trash.

Oct 12, 2015 5:01 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thank you Roger for your rely. Essentially the method proposed by you is to "ignore" the emails from the account which I want to drop.

I pay $99 / year for the main account. I can't find this link to "erase" this account from the main account. The extra charge per new email address I think was

$10 per additional email address associated to the main one. I can't find that "page" on the website to "delete" that email address, thereby saving $10 per additional email. I want to stop the $10 / year payment to this email address and stop using this email address for business..

Finally, ignoring this email address by deleting it from the main account does not "remove" it from the cloud. Right? I guess it dies from inactivity.

Yes? That is what happened to all the AOL accounts I had - I switched to MAC.com and forgot about AOL. The company will be dissolved and the emails going to that account will accumulate but receive no reply.

Thank you.

Oct 13, 2015 11:36 PM in response to Elizabeth Tu

It's not really possible to say as one can't see how you are set up. Old @mac.com and @me.com accounts were convertible to iCloud accounts when MobileMe closed. It's possible you had the old accounts set up manually in Mail but converted them to iCloud and have that set up as well. If the text before the '@' is the same then they are the same address and account and you can't remove the older versions.

Oct 14, 2015 4:36 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Yes, they existed before iCloud and were "converted" to the @me.com account. So that means on my MAC laptop, I can delete the account but it will never disappear --I merely am ignoring it. However, spam mail to this address will always exist and be sent to my junk mail folder. Can I undelete this account and block "all" messages into that address? Or divert it to an email address and let it ricochet indefinitely?

Oct 14, 2015 4:53 AM in response to Elizabeth Tu

You say you have an @icloud.com address, so, an iCloud account. Are these addresses part of the same account - i.e. is the text before the @mac.com and @me.com the same as the text before the @icloud.com? (Don't post what it is.) If so, it's all part of the same account, not separate acocunts, and you can't remove the @mac.com and @me.com versions.

What you can do is to set up a Rule on the iCloud website to move all messages sent to these addresses to the Trash, from where it will be automatically deleted after a week. To set up a Rule go to the Mail page at http://www.icloud.com and click the cogwheel icon at bottom left: choose 'Rules'.

Oct 14, 2015 5:05 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

You say you have an @icloud.com address, so, an iCloud account. Are these addresses part of the same account - i.e. is the text before the @mac.com and @me.com the same as the text before the @icloud.com? (Don't post what it is.) If so, it's all part of the same account, not separate acocunts, and you can't remove the @mac.com and @me.com versions. REPLY: I BEGAN THE MAC ACCOUNT BEFORE ICLOUD EXISTED. THEN I WAS FORCED TO CONVERT IT TO AN ICLOUD ACCOUNT. I GUESS THAT IS WHEN THE "SUBSCRIPTION" OF $99/YEAR ENDED. THEREFORE ALL PREFIXES BEFORE @MAC.COM BECAME @ME.COM AND THEN @ICLOUD.COM.

What you can do is to set up a Rule on the iCloud website to move all messages sent to these addresses to the Trash, from where it will be automatically deleted after a week. To set up a Rule go to the Mail page at http://www.icloud.com and click the cogwheel icon at bottom left: choose 'Rules'. REPLY: I DID THE CHANGE FROM 'MAIL PREFERENCE' FROM MY LAPTOP, THINKING I WAS INSTRUCTING THE CLOUD ACCOUNT. BUT YOU ARE SAYING THAT I NEED TO GO TO THE 'CLOUD' WEBSITE. OKAY. I WILL TRY AGAIN.

THANK YOU FOR NOT IGNORING ME.

Oct 14, 2015 5:19 AM in response to Elizabeth Tu

Hi, I found one of the reasons why it was "receiving" at my main account (diff address but same @icloud.com). I had a "forward mail" instruction

to do so because at one time, I did not want to "log in to different email addresses within the iCloud while traveling." Plus I did not want to remember so many different passwords either. I "undid" the forwarding instructions (left blank) and added a "rule" per your suggestion. So technically, I should only see the TRASH folder for this account build up but nothing in the "in" folder. Right?

How to close a MAC email account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.