Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match and the limits of music streaming?

It seems there is a shift in how people are using large music libraries online, or not?

I have approx 65,000 tracks and it has been, and continues to be, frustrating to stream it everywhere I go.

For awhile I used Subsonic, which is probably the best DIY NAS music server out there and it is free. But, there were some issues not the least of which was me not wanting to leave my computer on 24/7.

I quickly jumped on Amazon Music when it started because of the 250,000 file limit, as opposed to the useless (to me) 25,000 limit of Apple iTunes Match.

Amazon Music works well. There is a cumbersome upload process that had to rescan my entire music library every time I wanted to add tracks. Also, a fair amount of bad tagging, but at a 250,000 limit I was an immediate fan.

I recently complained about how the desktop software is very buggy with Amazon CSR and the only fix is to reinstall the software, something I find hard to swallow (They also gave me a $25 credit for complaining)

Today I was was forced to update my Amazon desktop software (Mac OS) and got notice that the desktop song limit was 40,000 files! I could still access my entire library via ios and browser.

(thread of people complaining about new limits)

A quick survey shows I am not alone in my disappointment, particularly in the lack of warning from Amazon.

Meanwhile I was ecstatic when I read that Apple was upping iTunes Match limit to 100,000 tracks and promptly plopped down my $25 assuming I would stop using Amazon once the Apple limit was in force. A few weeks later after ios 9 and finally El Capitan were installed I called Apple CSR to ask about when the new limits would be in place only to be told that the whole thing was a rumor! I persisted a bit with the CSR and he confirmed that there was no official release from Apple on the 100k limit and they instantly credited me my $25.

I then went back to try and find the source of the "rumour", which was a tweet by Eddy Cue stating via twitter:

"@cue: @karlfranks @robmsimoes 25k for launch and working to get to 100k for iOS 9"

I tweeted and posted everywhere I could think of to see if there was more to it, but it seems there is not?

Is there some technical reason why songs limits of more than say 50,000 is problematic?, or is it that in reality few people really want or need such large access?

It seems with the strong push towards delivery services line Apple Music and Spotify that users are moving away from caring about there own libraries.

Music streaming delivery services don't really work for me for two reasons.

One, why would pay anything a month when I already own the lion share of music I want to listen to and two, a lot of my music is from bootlegs or RIOS which are not available on services like Spotify.

So what gives? Is there a shift here, a ripple in the online music continuum or am I just asking for too much?

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 11:21 AM

There are no replies.

iTunes Match and the limits of music streaming?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.