Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan Problem with Disk Utility and USB Drive Partitioning

I am trying to set up a USB thumb drive to have GUID partition so that it can be bootable.

When I go into disk utility, the disk does not appear as a physical disk with a volume below it. Instead it only shows the volume.

I can not change the partitions without being able to select the physical disk.

In the screenshot below you will see I have two external usb drives.

The first one "UFD 2.0 Silicon" appears as a physical disk with the volume "Install OS X El" below it and I can choose how to partition this one. No problem.

The second USB drive, which I am having trouble with, only shows the volume "USB DISK" but does not have a physical device listed above it that I can select.

As you can see from the screenshot, it is listed as "external physical volume osx extended" but there is no "external physical disk" listed above it.

When I try erase, it does not give me the dialog box for "Scheme" (see second image) to select the partition type for the disk, it treats it like a volume.

Disk Utility only gives the Partition Scheme option for physical disks.

How can I fix this disk so that I can set it up with a GUID partition?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2015 8:40 AM

I was able to get around this issue by booting into fedora linux and using gparted to set the partition table to GPT and creating one partition of hfs+. Then I could see the partition button lit up.

10 replies

Jan 8, 2016 9:17 AM in response to CraigarJ

Same problem with any USB devices with more than one partition. Nothing works under El Capitan! Not only disk utility, but also Finder, Terminal commands, and Applications are all affected. That makes it more difficult for me to prepare media for Raspberry Pi - USB sticks and SD cards. But on the same Macbook I have Ubuntu running in a Parallels virtual machine, and that (fortunately) works OK with these multi-partition USB devices.

Apr 20, 2016 11:47 AM in response to scottca

Hi,

I had this same problem but I managed to fix it by:

Formatting the disk using the format exFAT at first

Then formatting the disk again in the format you want (you should now be able to choose the scheme too)

I then chose OS X Extended (case sensitive, journaled, encrypted)

Chose the scheme GUID Partition Map

Setup my password (blah blah blah...)

AND DONE!!

Jul 29, 2016 2:03 PM in response to scottca

Hi there,

Here's my quick fix:

1. Open Disk Utility and select your USB stick.
  2. look for the "Device:" label on the bottom left and note which disk your USB stick is. I am using disk5 in my example.
  3. Open up Terminal and issue the following command where you replace "disk5" with your disk and Installer with whatever name you want your partition to be called.
    sudo diskutil partitionDisk disk5 1 jhfs+ Installer R
    WARNING! THERE IS NO CONFIRMATION AFTER THIS. IT WILL ERASE EVERYTHING ON YOUR DISK.
    (The command tells diskutility to partition the disk named disk5 and create 1 journaled hfs+ partition named Installer and use all the available ("R for remaining") space.)
  4. Disk Utility should now recognise your USB stick correctly.

Hope this helps.

El Capitan Problem with Disk Utility and USB Drive Partitioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.