Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why the default for short username uses lowercase letters?

Why the default for short username uses lowercase letters? Is there any functional advantage for this?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2015 2:39 AM

That's a convenience thing I am aware of (I am a terminal user myself), but that does not answer my question. I asked if there is any functional usage for this, in some way.

Note that perhaps the user home dir would be lowercase, but the convention in Mac OS X for all system libraries is to use capitalisation. So even if I use the terminal, I find using lowercase for home dir more confusing than anything else (and it is not as confusing in Linux for example).

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2015 2:39 AM in response to BobHarris

That's a convenience thing I am aware of (I am a terminal user myself), but that does not answer my question. I asked if there is any functional usage for this, in some way.

Note that perhaps the user home dir would be lowercase, but the convention in Mac OS X for all system libraries is to use capitalisation. So even if I use the terminal, I find using lowercase for home dir more confusing than anything else (and it is not as confusing in Linux for example).

Oct 14, 2015 10:36 AM in response to eranm

I asked if there is any functional usage for this, in some way.

I agree with Tony T1 in that I do not think there is any functional basis for all lowercase.

However, not including spaces or other special characters, does have serious benefits when the user name is used in any Unix oriented command, as the Unix command line parses based on spaces, and if $USER included spaces it is too easy for a script to break because $USER was not enclosed in double quotes "$USER".

Also when you create your first account, you are given a chance to specify whatever short name you desire. It is just that OS X presents you with a lowercase, no spaces, not special character short name as the default.

There are ways to change the short name, but you have to be careful to make sure you change all the connected dots or the old name may still be in force in some dark and hidden corner.

<Change the account name and home directory name on your Mac - Apple Support>

<http://www.macworld.com/article/2107780/change-your-short-username-in-os-x-10-9- mavericks.html>

Oct 14, 2015 6:24 AM in response to eranm

What you do in your home directory is your policy, not Apple's or UNIX tradition (except illegal characters including spaces in filenames).

The principal folders that Apple creates when a new account is established have leading caps and a tatoo on the icon. I do not change these. Most of my own created folders and filenames are all lower case. I don't use sentence-long filenames, and may use an occasional underscore in file naming — but of similar vintage to Bob, my UNIX filenaming is deliberately short, concise, and lower-case.

I have incorporated coloration in my black background terminal sessions, that allow folders to appear blue, executables as red, and regular files and commands as white.

Oct 14, 2015 10:53 AM in response to VikingOSX

What I do in my home directory is also Apple's policy, and the leading caps is applied also in system folders and not only in individual users' folders. This is usually not the case in Linux where the use of lowercase letters only is applied pretty much everywhere (at least last time I checked). Thus, creating a home directory using lowercase only does not make sense when virtual every other folder in Mac (at least the ones the normal user sees) are using leading caps.

I was expecting Apple to suggest by default the name with leading cap, and with no spaces - especially since it is not trivial to change it later. Since they did not do that, I suspected there is some code somewhere which may rely on this - but you seem to reassure me it does not have any functional use.

I have been using a Mac for ~8 years now and always used a leading cap for the short name - never had any issue with it, but I still was not sure if this could lead to trouble in the future.

In the related support document (Change the account name and home directory name on your Mac - Apple Support), Apple states specifically: "When modifying the account name (short name) or the home folder name, the name you use should not contain any spaces." This is understandable for the reasons you have mentioned. But I also read in some forum that in the past Apple specifically stated the short username must use lowercase - so either this statement was wrong, or Apple realised there is no need for such a demand.

BTW, the colouring in terminal is familiar (I use it myself), but do not answer my question, and I don't know of anyone using caps and small letters to distinguish between directories and other file types.

Why the default for short username uses lowercase letters?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.