Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 9.0 regularly fails to load pages

Since upgrading my late 2013 15" MBP to El Capitan and Safari 9.0, Safari has started acting flakey:

Web pages will regularly take long to load or completely fail to load. Trying the URLs in a different browser (Chrome or Firefox) works perfectly - snappy load times and no issues.

I can only assume some bug has been introduced in Safari 9.0 which causes major issues with certain URL's (Twitter is a prime example).

I have no extensions/plugins installed.

null-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11), Safari 9.0

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 12:56 PM

4 replies

Oct 12, 2015 1:17 PM in response to wfaler

Go step by step by step and test.

1. Power off the router. Unplug it from the wall. Wait a while.

Plug it back to the wall. Power the router on. Wait until all the lights are lit properly. It will take a while.

Restart the computer.

Start up in Safe Mode.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18760?locale=en_US

2. Delete Caches.db

Close all windows and quit all applications.

Hold "option" key down and click "Go" menu in the Finder menu bar.

Select "Library" from the dropdown.

Library > Caches > com.apple.Safari > Caches.db

Right click the Caches.db file and select "Move To Trash.

Close windows and relaunch Safari.

3. Empty Cache

Safari > Preference > Advanced

Checkmark the box beside "Show Develop menu in menu bar".

Develop menu will appear in the Safari menu bar.

Click Develop and select "Empty Caches" from the dropdown.

4. Delete Cookies

Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and other website data:

Click the “Details” button.

Remove all cookies except ones from Apple, your internet service provider and banks.

Oct 21, 2015 3:04 AM in response to wfaler

Interesting that Prefetch still a problem? I know that Safari 9 hangs in Mavericks and Yosemite too and so I finally just gave up and switched to Chrome.

Its hard to work out all the bugs as El Capitan has its share of bugs too. I'll have to try the prefetch disabling to see if this helps. I have no plugins installed and still pages hang or don't load. It was really frustrating to even try to use Safari. Actually I don't mind Chrome have not been using it mostly because of the power hog it is with resources and battery management. But if Safari cannot load pages then I guess that battery savings is not so great.

Safari 9.0 regularly fails to load pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.