Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In iOS 9.0.2 on iPad 2, there's a delay between pressing a letter on the keyboard and its appearance on the screen.

I have an iPad 2 from 2012. Seven days ago, I upgraded from iOS 8.4 to 9.0.2. Immediately I began having difficulty with the keyboard. The main issue is a delay between typing a letter and seeing it on the page. Sometimes it delays one letter at a time, printing it a few seconds after I typed it. At other times, I can type an entire word without any letters appearing on the screen, then watch as the keyboard seem to run through them one at a time, finally placing them on the screen.

It also happens with deletion. I'll press the "back" key numerous times before it takes action. After a delay of a few seconds, it then deletes the letters one by one according to how many times I had pressed the back button. Formatting keys are affected as well. For instance, the capital letter choice will stay on until after the second letter prints, creating two capital letters in a row.

This happens in Notes, Mail, and all onboard apps. It also happens on all websites using Safari and Chrome. I have no keyboards downloaded other than the standard keyboard which was pre-loaded in the computer. As far as I know, I haven't changed any settings that would cause a delay such as this. If there are settings I'm unaware of, I'd appreciate being directed to them.

I've tried the following:

• Restarting the device several times
  • Downloading updated versions of all apps
  • Force-closing all apps
  • Deleting battery-draining apps
  • Making all necessary setting adjustments to preserve battery life

Thank you for your consideration.

iPad 2, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 2:35 PM

I Have the same problem plus my pages in Safari keep re loading. To get round the problem I have started to use Google to search . On Google you will not have the problem.

7 replies

Oct 12, 2015 4:34 PM in response to asparmil

Try turning on Reduced Motion.

This is found in the Settings App in the General tab the left panel.

In the right panel look under Accessibility, the look for Reduce Motion and turn this feature "On".

You should see an appreciable performance increase on all iPad 2, 3 and 4 models.

Try a hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

Good Luck!

Oct 16, 2015 11:58 AM in response to MichelPM

Hi Michael. Reduced Motion was already set to "On." Turning it "Off," restarting, then turning it and back "On" has made a big differenc. It's not perfect but it's much more tolerable! I had been told I had to do a factory re-set, and I was hoping to avoid something that drastic, so thank you very much. I hope it helps other people too.

In iOS 9.0.2 on iPad 2, there's a delay between pressing a letter on the keyboard and its appearance on the screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.