Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why can't my mac auto capitalise "i"??????

i hate the fact that an "i" doesn't auto capitalise to I! How can i rectify this???????

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 3:20 PM

1 reply

Oct 12, 2015 3:39 PM in response to wheelo12345

Auto-capitalization is not a function of OS X, but individual application design. MS Word will auto-capitalize, but you have locate it in Word's preferences. LibreOffice Writer auto-capitalizes by default. Pages '09, as far as I recall, was the last Apple application that provided “fix capitalization" in its preferences. Pages v5.5.3 has no application setting to fix capitalization, but it is in its .plist file. Setting it is ignored.

There is a free application (WordService) in the OS X App Store that downloads and installs into your Applications folder. As part of the download procress from the OS X App Store, it installs several text-based services. These are enabled in System Preferences : Keyboard : Shortcuts : Services. Look for WordService in the latter Services listings, and then check WordService: Initial Caps of Sentences. Now, with the text selected that you want to change to sentence case (First word after period is capitalized), select the Application's name menu ▸ Services ▸ WordService: Initial Caps of Sentence. Your text will be fixed in an instant.

The WordService application itself, when one clicks its Help button, will open Preview on a PDF document showing all of the Services and their purpose.

why can't my mac auto capitalise "i"??????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.