Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong fonts in iBook

I am creating an ePub from Indesign CC 2015. When I export to ePub (reflowable) and view in iBooks the default fonts do not appear. I have followed Carolyn Samits' suggestion to another user on Sept. 28 2015 and trashed the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.ibooks.plist file and restarted my iMac. I haven't found any threads on this problem. I am running Mavericks OS X 10.9.5. See image:

User uploaded file

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014), null

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 3:05 PM

6 replies

Oct 16, 2015 11:33 AM in response to richard the old

richard the old wrote:

i'm not sure that this is your question or not, but the font you use when creating the book on a mac has to be available on the iPad once the ibook is created. otherwise, it will use another.

I don't think that is correct. iBooks has supposedly supported embedded fonts for some time, and iBooks Author is supposed to embed them. InDesign also provides a way to do that.

Oct 16, 2015 2:33 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

perhaps you are correct since what you say is logical but i am not sure. if i get some time i will test. but you got me to rethink about my experience with this that i used to formulate my answer.

i was creating content on a mac computer where the content is within a keynote, which is dropped into an iba widget. everything worked as expected from start to finish product on an iPad, even with an unusual font. i think one time it was dom casual. on the computer i have lots of fonts, as i was stupid enough at one point to buy the adobe mega package of fonts. when i had problems switching to the updated mac software last july, i copied everything associated with my current book to a new computer with the updated software. i didn't copy the fonts. when i opened up an old keynote file with the current keynote, i got the message of missing font and it was changed. i imbed everything into my keynotes. now by your logic one might reason that the font is imbedded into the keynote, so that this should not have happened.

so in my brain was stored that you needed fonts to be present wherever you worked. i didn't think this out sufficiently that this situation was different from jbarts and i wish i had spent a bit more time to document the exact experience i had. i shot from the hip in an effort to answer many questions where i should have been more careful. this could very well have risen as a result of how the keynote conversion program works.

thanks for your reply.

Oct 16, 2015 2:57 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

wow, you are faster than the speed of light.

i looked up the keynote preferences and the preference box you check is for imbedding audio and video, but i have to agree with you on keynote and fonts. i only used the unusually fonts a small number of times, and whenever i opened the keynote with the new keynote i would get a warning. it would leave things as is unless i made a change somewhere in the keynote. so i am wondering now that if i didn't convert it but just dropped it into a keynote widget in iba, what font would be used. perhaps it was changed. it is all hazy in my mind, as the action i took was to change these few instances to more standard fonts in order to eliminate the warning messages. after i finish my current book i will spend some time and recreate this situation, however valueless the worth of doing so.

here's hoping that you buy a couple of my new book, praise it highly on you excellent blog, and tell everyone to buy a copy themselves.

Wrong fonts in iBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.