Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro with UPS doesn't save to Time Machine

Hi guys,

I am running a 2014 Mac Pro under Yosemite. Attached to this Mac Pro I have a Ellipse Pro 1600 UPS.

When I open Time Machine preferences, it tells me that the next backup will happen when the Mac Pro will be " connected to power " ie not on battery.

I looked for the setting in Time Machine to allow backups while on battery power but this is available only on Laptops.

Is there a way to make OSX understand that the UPS is not a battery and that it should still backup ? or fool it ?

Thanks for your help.

JBBJ

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 2:27 PM

7 replies

Oct 12, 2015 2:52 PM in response to JBBJ

Do you have the black cylinder Mac Pro?

If so that is still the late 2013 Mac Pro. Mac's are identify when the modle was originally released, not when you purchased it.

Did you install any software for the UPS?

Is the Mac connected via USB for monitoring?

I have a late 2013 Mac Pro and an APC UPS connected via USB for monitoring. I use the Apple UPS software that is shown when a compatible UPS is connected to USB for monitoring. I have no problem

Oct 13, 2015 12:30 AM in response to lllaass

Yes, it is the 2013 Mac Pro.

The UPS is a Eaton Ellipse Pro 1600 connected via USB, it is recognized by OsX, it shows me the UPS settings and I can adjust them.

However, the only problem I have is that since it is connected, time machine doesn't backup because it thinks that the Mac Pro is running of a battery.

Oct 13, 2015 2:18 AM in response to JBBJ

JBBJ wrote:

Yes, it is the 2013 Mac Pro.

The UPS is a Eaton Ellipse Pro 1600 connected via USB, it is recognized by OsX, it shows me the UPS settings and I can adjust them.

However, the only problem I have is that since it is connected, time machine doesn't backup because it thinks that the Mac Pro is running of a battery.

As a temporary workaround you could unplug the USB cable but still have the Mac getting power from the UPS. The Mac Pro should then not know it is running on 'battery'.

Oct 13, 2015 3:04 AM in response to John Lockwood

Yes, I thought about doing this but since I am running OsX server on it with some critical database, I do not wish to have it corrupted by a " savage " powerdown.

I guess I will have to either change the UPS to one that does have a OsX compatible management software other than the power management included in OsX, or maybe write a script to force a Time Machine backup every XX hours.

What UPS brand / model are you guys using on your Mac Pros ?

JBBJ

Oct 13, 2015 6:19 AM in response to JBBJ

JBBJ wrote:

I guess I will have to either change the UPS to one that does have a OsX compatible management software other than the power management included in OsX, or maybe write a script to force a Time Machine backup every XX hours.

If you have multiple computers you cannot normally use a USB connection anyway. That leaves you two options, use a UPS which has a network interface card and then you can 'talk' to it over the network, or connect it via USB to a single computer and make that computer a 'server' to let other computers know the status.

APC do provide a client to their network connected UPS devices but it does not inspire confidence in it. It seems to be very neglected by them.

There is a free third-party program called NUTS (Network Ups ToolS) see http://www.networkupstools.org/ it works with a wide range of UPS makes.

Mac Pro with UPS doesn't save to Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.