Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine backup creation fails - no idea why

I am trying to create a new tie machine backup for my mac book air running OS X 10.10.5 yosemite

I am doing this via a network. I have a time capsule from apple that is backing up an other computer (works fine).

I have a buffalo external drive connected this time capsule that i would like to use to backup 2 laptops (one of which is the above mentioned )

I just recently reformatted the buffalo drive to get rid of some older time machine backups (there were some minor problems but disc utility fixed them)

When I start the backup with time machine it creates a 15mb spars bundle file but then the backup stops. I dowloaded the time machine body after exploring the pondini time machine help page so i am able to extract the error message. it say this:

Starting automatic backup

Network destination already mounted at: /Volumes/Laptop Backup

Creating disk image /Volumes/Laptop Backup/Ildiko’s MacBook Air.sparsebundle

Error 17 creating backup disk image

Failed to create disk image /Volumes/Laptop Backup/Ildiko’s MacBook Air.sparsebundle, status: 17

Backup failed with error 20: 20

Failed to eject volume /Volumes/Laptop Backup (FSVolumeRefNum: -106; status: -47; dissenting pid: 0)

I also did a full reset of time machine on the airbook already as explained on the pending site.

No idea what to do and how to solve the problem.

Can anyone help please?

Thank you.

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), time machine backup

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 5:47 PM

1 reply

Oct 12, 2015 8:03 PM in response to ildimacuser

Not all drives work on all setups.

What model is the time capsule?

Is the buffalo disk set to guid partition and Mac OS journaled format??

Do not manually mount the backup .. TM must do the mount itself.

If you keep having issues.. try doing a backup to the USB drive plugged directly into the MBA and see if that works. It should be no problem, although you cannot backup over network to the same backup sadly.

On Yosemite I would seriously look at using Carbon Copy Cloner.. which can actually do loads of things TM cannot.

It is a reasonably cheap software and can be used on all your Macs.. so worth a trial at least which is free for a month.

time machine backup creation fails - no idea why

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.