Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Unstable on El Capitan.

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that time machine is behaving oddly since the upgrade to El Capitan. I went to shut down both my Macs and the hard drive had to be force quit even though they were doing nothing.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 6:56 PM

11 replies

Oct 19, 2015 4:17 AM in response to BertingAP

Yes - I have this too.

Time machine worked faultlessly with Yosemite.

Now with El Capitan:

- sometimes the external disk fails to mount, so it is not shown on the desktop

- sometimes it does mount, and is shown, but back-ups to Time Machine fail to occur at hourly intervals, and I must initiate manually

- sometimes it works fine

-almost always, when the Mac puts itself to sleep, on awakening I get the error message "disk not ejected properly". This also happens on shut-down, unless I manually dismount the disk by dragging it to "Trash" before shutting the computer down.

I am using a G-drive external disk, which, as I say, worked fine with Yosemite.

Oct 19, 2015 6:34 PM in response to Alizarine

Same problems, on both my Macs. I did some detective work, and it appears the Spotlight Search on El Capitan will search in backups, which implies that it is the search which is jamming Time Machine. (Continues to use the disc, and needs to be force quit to eject.)

What ever the case Apple needs to fix this; thus I sent a bug report.

Time Machine Unstable on El Capitan.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.