Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just did an update the other day. Since then, I cannot open my "Numbers" files. It says "The index.xml file is missing" HELP !!

Just did an update the other day. Since then, I cannot open my "Numbers" files. It says "The index.xml file is missing" HELP !!

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.0.4, Pages documents

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 9:02 PM

do you have a Time Machine backup you can use to revert the file to a date before the update?

What about are there any versions listed in menu item:

"File > Revert To > ..."

5 replies

Oct 12, 2015 9:05 PM in response to Wayne Contello

THANK YOU for your reply.

Yes, I have TIme Machine backups and selected one copy from a few days ago, but when I went to open it, I got the same message about the "index.xml file" being missing..

Something is really messed up with "Numbers".

I think I will have to go to the Apple store SOON. I have several projects ongoing and I need my spreadsheet access.

THANKS again.

Joann

Oct 13, 2015 4:30 PM in response to 11669community

Hi Joann,

It seems that Numbers 3 has "stolen" (converted) a Numbers 2 (Numbers '09) document.

I created and save a document in Numbers '09. I named it "Numbers '09 saved in Numbers 3" as a test.

I opened it in Numbers 3.5.3 and saved.

Now when I try to open it in Numbers '09, I get this message:

User uploaded file

Be sure which version of Numbers is trying to open a document.

Your Applications folder contains Numbers 3. Drag the icon to your Dock.

A sub-folder named iWork '09 contains Numbers '09. Drag the icon to your Dock.

Numbers '09 (3 column graph) on the left.

Numbers 3 (four column graph) on the right.

User uploaded file

See this User Tip:

Need newer version of Numbers to open file

Regards,

Ian.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.