Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i store iTunes files strictly in iCloud?

So i have noticed that all my storage on my mac book pro is full and i need to make space... How can i store my iTunes movie and music files strictly on my iCloud drive only? this way i can clear that space that it was taking on my hard drive.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 3:37 PM

3 replies

Oct 13, 2015 6:03 AM in response to brs91

Hi brs91,

First I'd recommend making a backup of your library somewhere before you entrust everything to the cloud.

Next you'd need to make sure you have enough space on your iCloud Drive to hold all your files. I'd guess this is a large library if it's outgrowing your MacBook Pro. You can see how much free space you need by selecting the folder Music/iTunes and going to to File > Get Info.

Now to be honest I've never heard of anyone doing this. But the procedure for moving your library from one place to another is simple: Quit iTunes. Drag the entire iTunes folder -- including all files and subfolders -- to the new location. It will take a long time to upload all the files.

When all that's done, open iTunes while holding down the Option key. When you're prompted to choose a library, navigate to iCloud Drive and choose the library there. If it works properly, you should be able to take a deep breath and delete the folder from your MacBook.

One problem here is that you'll only be able to play music when you've got an internet connection. Another is that, as I said, I've never heard of anyone doing this, so I'm not absolutely certain it will work.

You might investigate iTunes Match as an alternative solution. This would give you the opportunity to move everything to the cloud, but download certain tracks to the MacBook so as to have them available for offline listening.

Oct 13, 2015 7:09 AM in response to brs91

I am completely unfamiliar with iCloud Drive. If it really works as true drive on your desktop you could try moving your library to it but it may be slow. Sometimes these things aren't really volumes on your desktop and won't work like a true drive for working with iTunes.

Any purchases from Apple are, in theory, stored in iCloud/iTunes Store and can be re-downloaded. Me, I would not trust this 100% and Apple itself posts various warnings about making sure you back up your purchases because if a distributor decides to pull an item it won't be there any more.

Match, and Apple Music, will store a copy of your eligible music tracks in the Cloud, but won't store movies.

Personally there is no way I would trust an online service to store my only copy of media for me. Match and Music are convenience services and may meet your purpose, but in reality people with newer computers with small drives have to go the old fashioned route and buy external drives. Oh, buy two, because what will you do when one is stolen or fails? I just spent $300 on dual media storage drives (yes, you thought after you bought the computer you wouldn't have to spend anymore money, didn't you? 😉 )

Oct 13, 2015 8:00 AM in response to brs91

What model is your Macbook Pro? If it is one with a user replaceable hard drive,

just get a bigger drive.

Also, if your library is that large, any cloud storage will be expensive and of course will

be subject to availability (of course the internet is always, always available as well as cloud

servers).

Best bet is to make a local copy. If you have a Macbook Pro, depending on model, you

could use an SD Card for your iTunes library which will make it pretty unobtrusive compared

to the external storage or you could get a USB Flash drive (easier than a cable and external

disk drive), that is assuming that you can get a device large enough for your iTunes library.

Another suggestion, you may want to do some major house cleaning on your computer.

If you have photos or documents or such that you haven't looked at for a long time, archive

them on an external device.

how can i store iTunes files strictly in iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.