Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect and configure a Netgear DM111PSP Broadband ADSL2 Modem to an Airport Extreme?

I use Century Link DSL. Just had a Actiontec M1000 DSL Modem quit. I replaced it with a Netgear MC111PSP DSL Modem. I've been using an Airport Extreme connected to the Actiontec M1000 and then to a Netgear GS608 Router, used as a switch. It has been working fine for a couple of years.

I purchased the Netgear MC111PSP DSL modem today. I got it working and when connected directly to my iMac Retina 5K late 1400 desktop it works fine. When I connect the new DSL modem to the Airport Extreme, it connects and the AirPort Utility sees it and also sees my iMac, iPhone 6, iPad 3, and two HP6800 printers. However. The iMac does not connect to WiFi. The iPhone 6 connects and can receive mail. The iPad 3 sees WiFi, but doesn't connect to Internet. I can print from the iMac to the HP6800 using WiFi, even though the iMac doesn't show a WiFi connection. I can't understand that! I can't get the amber light to stop flashing on the Airport Extreme. When I connect the iMac directly to the Airport Extreme the iMac doesn't see the Internet.

Do I have to reset the Airport Extreme to factory default settings and then connect it to the modem? Will that make the WiFi in the iMac work?

I saw one post that said that it is tricky to get the Netgear DSL modem to work with the Airport Extreme. What is the secret? Or should I take this back to BestBuy and spent $100 for the Century Link DSL Modem (it is also a WiFi router and I don't need two WiFi routers!

I've been fighting this all day and getting weary!

Any suggestions??

Thank You!!

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11), 8 GB, Late 2014, Airport Extreme,

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 4:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 5:52 PM

Netgear MC111PSP DSL Modem

This modem is a special kind. It has 1:1 NAT..

But you can also set it up in bridge.. you need to tell me where you have the sign in located now.. at a guess it is the Netgear..

It is therefore working as half a router.. Neither bridge nor a full router.. this is tricky.

If you can bridge it and run the Extreme as PPPOE .. that would work.. although we tend to find the extreme is less than spectacular at PPPOE.

Or you can run the Extreme in router mode.. (it is bridge now).. so full factory reset of the Extreme.

Set it up in dhcp and NAT mode.. you will get a double NAT warning.. ignore it.

The Extreme should work fine like this.

OR

Buy the full modem router.. and use the Extreme as a secondary wireless device in bridge.. this is actually a good setup.. and since there is no guest network in bridge the modem router providing a second wireless network is no problem at all.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2015 5:52 PM in response to veehb

Netgear MC111PSP DSL Modem

This modem is a special kind. It has 1:1 NAT..

But you can also set it up in bridge.. you need to tell me where you have the sign in located now.. at a guess it is the Netgear..

It is therefore working as half a router.. Neither bridge nor a full router.. this is tricky.

If you can bridge it and run the Extreme as PPPOE .. that would work.. although we tend to find the extreme is less than spectacular at PPPOE.

Or you can run the Extreme in router mode.. (it is bridge now).. so full factory reset of the Extreme.

Set it up in dhcp and NAT mode.. you will get a double NAT warning.. ignore it.

The Extreme should work fine like this.

OR

Buy the full modem router.. and use the Extreme as a secondary wireless device in bridge.. this is actually a good setup.. and since there is no guest network in bridge the modem router providing a second wireless network is no problem at all.

Oct 12, 2015 9:51 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you LaPastenague.

Just before I saw your post I was reading the 85 page manual on the Netgear Modem that I downloaded and saw a software switch to make it either a modem or a modem/router. I switched it to modem and that did the trick. It is working fine now. I connected the modem to the Airport Extreme and then run an Ethernet cable to a Netgear switch which goes to another switch in the basement and it goes to another one in my theater room. All is working fine now. The Extreme is working as PPOE, but it seems to be working OK. I need to learn more about networking.

I'm an engineer (retired) but not a network expert. I can usually figure this stuff out, but this one had me stymied. That's because the system was nearly configured correctly, but one switch setting had it stopped. I didn't realize that the Netgear modem was also a router.

So, thank you for your time to reply. We less experienced users really appreciate those of you with more Apple experience who are willing to make suggestions on this forum.

Oct 13, 2015 4:35 AM in response to veehb

Glad to help and well done getting it working.

Keep a watch on the system.. if it becomes unstable or Extreme drops out the PPPOE can be the issue.. it is completely non-working for some users.. fine for others.. but a lot of people are in between.. which is of course the worst possible situation.. work or don't work.. is fine and is clear what is going on.. half working is terrible.. makes it so much harder to troubleshoot.

Your system sounds like an engineer would own.. I tell people my house is wired with thin coax 10base2 they stare at me like I am from another planet.. I will now need to replace some of the links with cat6.. but I am getting too old to crawl around the ceiling spaces.. and my son is 6'6" and about 250lb so I doubt he will fit through the manhole.

Good luck with it.

Oct 29, 2015 8:12 AM in response to LaPastenague

My house is wired with Cat 5 and some Cat 6. But with this Airport Extreme WiFi router, I really don't need the wired connection. I have a Netgear GByte router connected to the Airport Extreme and running to two other Netgear Routers. They are running as switches to get wired Ethernet into my basement theater room and my family room entertainment center. The WiFi is a little weak in the basement. I'm surprised at how good this Airport Extreme is!

Oct 30, 2015 3:07 PM in response to veehb

I'm surprised at how good this Airport Extreme is!

I had a 3TB TC first one died inside a week.. replacement ran ok but wifi nothing special.. which I sold off.. and then found I was not able to do support very well.. so bought a second hand 2TB TC also AC model very cheap.. and this one has excellent signal.. the variation from unit to unit means some people report excellent results and others report poor wireless and continual cut outs..

It seems you got a good one.. for which you can be thankful.. that is far from the case for everyone.

How do I connect and configure a Netgear DM111PSP Broadband ADSL2 Modem to an Airport Extreme?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.