Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running out of space on my MacBook Pro

Hi there, I have a MacBook Pro that is 500GB and I only have 22GB left. I only have photos and music on my laptop. My question is how do I buy and external hard drive for just photos? Can I point it to the hard drive so that when I open iPhoto, it pulls the photos from the external hard drive?

Any other suggestions?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 5:02 PM

3 replies

Oct 12, 2015 5:17 PM in response to AprilfromCanada

Buy it normally, choose Utilities from the Finder's Go menu and use the Disk Utility to reformat it as Mac OS Extended(this step can be skipped on drives specifically designed for Macs), drag the iPhoto library to it, launch iPhoto with the Option key held down, and choose that library. The process is the same for iTunes, except that if the drive is preformatted as MS-DOS or exFAT, it can be left that way.

(134852)

Running out of space on my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.