Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

F10, F11, F12 work as function keys, not volume

After upgrading to El Capitan my iMac Bluetooth keyboard has changed from the F10, F11, F12 keys operating the volume to now being function key shortcuts to Mission Control. I've found a few articles that show in System Preferences how to un-select them from being function keys in the Mission Control and Keyboard areas but that doesn't fix my problem.

How do I change it back so these keys operate the volume?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 5:11 PM

You can hold the Fn key while pressing these to evoke the special features, or go to the Keyboard system preferences, then to the keyboard tab, and uncheck the box to use the F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys. This will reverse the behavior, so the Fn key is required to issue F1, F2, etc., and the default function of these keys will be the special features (volume, brightness, etc.).

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2015 5:11 PM in response to markwylie11

You can hold the Fn key while pressing these to evoke the special features, or go to the Keyboard system preferences, then to the keyboard tab, and uncheck the box to use the F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys. This will reverse the behavior, so the Fn key is required to issue F1, F2, etc., and the default function of these keys will be the special features (volume, brightness, etc.).

Oct 12, 2015 5:31 PM in response to markwylie11

Hi Topher, thanks for your quick replies. I have unticked all the F keys in keyboard settings. If I have nothing open and press F11 the only thing I get is an error sound. If I hold down fn then F11 I get the same error sound. If I tick them and press F11 I get show desktop. If I hold fn then press F11 I also get show desktop.

In my Input Sources list U.S. is the only option I have and it is selected.

Any other suggestions?

Dec 19, 2015 5:44 AM in response to markwylie11

Hi had this exact problem. I spoke to apple support on the support Chat and they suggested I shut down my computer by pressing the Shift-Option-Control keys and the power button at the same time. I was initially a little unsure about this because I've had hardware problems in the past when doing this kind of troubleshooting. He advised me to press Command, Option, P and R before the grey screen appeared but I after my computer shut down following the first steps, I checked the keys and they worked again!

I had tried a few different options in System Preferences but could find no obvious solution! Hope this helps anyone!

Jan 24, 2016 7:09 PM in response to Community User

Hi,

Same problem. I just upgrade to El Capitan.

My F1, F2, F3 ... etc and most importantly F10, F11 and F12 (volume keys) function as shortcuts for mission control. Why would this be default for when upgrading.

I restarted my iMac using cmnd option P R keys and nothing.

I tried configuring my keyboard settings, and can't seem to find "use all F1 as standard - check uncheck the box.". Super weird. Please advise.

User uploaded file

Oct 13, 2016 12:05 PM in response to rebeccaross13

This solution worked for me. I did exactly as instructed above by shutting down first with Shift-Option-Control and power button. Then I rebooted with P and R keys pressed and bingo all is fine once again. No matter what settings I redid or toggled in the keyboard preferences, nothing worked—including resetting the preferences.

Doing this reboot restart sequence did the trick.

F10, F11, F12 work as function keys, not volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.