Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File permissions issue on OS X El Capitan and SMB share

Since updating to El Capitan all files in SMB and AFP shares have the 'x' bit set, even though the premissions were properly displayed on earlier OS. The SMB share is shared by Samba on Ubuntu, while the AFP share is shared by Apple Time Capsule. I couldn't find an option to disable this and I see no reason in not preserving the permissions. Is there a fix or a workaround for this issue? Thanks!

See also: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33090925/file-permissions-issue-on-os-x-el-ca pitan-and-smb-share/33093076#33093076

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 7:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 7:42 PM

There no longer is a need to repair permissions. All permissions are locked under the new "rootless" environment. They no longer require repairing.

22 replies

Oct 12, 2015 7:56 PM in response to Kappy

The problem is with the client side for sure, as nothing was changed on the servers. Previous versions of desktop OS X see the permissions correctly from both SMB and AFP. The problem is not only with Linux Samba servers but also with Apple Time Capsule. Please read the link in my first post for a more detailed description of the issue and why it is not just a cosmetic one.

Oct 12, 2015 8:33 PM in response to eladts

Sorry, but I can't really be of much help. I understand the changes in El Capitan are relates to rootless and locked permissions. The user cannot access permissions unless they disable the SIP in the Terminal while booted to the Recovery HD. This is done be getting to the Utilities Menu on the Recovery HD, selecting Terminal from the Utilities menu in the screen menubar. When the Terminal window opens enter:

csrutil disable

Press RETURN. This turns off the SIP, but this also results in the loss of OS X protection of the system so you do it at your own risk. I suspect not a good idea for a server environment. This will disable the SIP so you regain the ability to change permissions. Unfortunately, this is the extent of my knowledge of the subject.

Oct 12, 2015 8:42 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for trying to help, but I don't think SIP (aka rootless) is the issue here, for several reasons:

1. SIP applies only to the system volume. It make no sense to apply it to any other local volume, let alone to remote network shares.
  2. SIP disallows writing to protected files. In this case the permissions are reported incorrectly, but there is no issue writing to the files on the remote shares.
  3. The third party SSHFS file system doesn't have this issue with El Capitan and displays the remote permissions correctly.

Oct 19, 2015 2:32 PM in response to eladts

I’ve got the exactly same problem, as we use an ubuntu server at work with SMB share. Since El Capitan, all files are being viewed with 0755 permissions.

It’s really annoying because we have some Git repositories over SMB and we see different status between server-side and mac-side.

I’ve posted an issue on Server Fault, but I’m pretty sure this is cause by El Capitan, everything was OK on Yosemite.

http://serverfault.com/questions/728667/file-permissions-issue-on-os-x-el-capita n-and-smb-share?noredirect=1#comment9079…

Oct 31, 2015 1:01 AM in response to eladts

Hi, my problem is a little different than yours but maybe they are related.

We updated the computers in our studio to El Capitan, which connect to a server that has Yosemite, and all of a sudden we started experiencing issues where Photoshop would not save files opened on a networked drive. We have been using this workflow for years but suddenly, since El Capitan, it wouldn't work. I did some digging and realized that it may be related to SMB. So I disabled SMB in File Sharing and now our computers only connect to the server via AFP, and viola! File saving works again.

My biggest concern now is that SMB is supposedly a lot faster than AFP, though we haven't yet tested the workflow to see if there is a noticeable difference. Does anyone know if this is true?

File permissions issue on OS X El Capitan and SMB share

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.