Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your bootable USB drive could not be created, BCA 6, OS 10.11

Hello, I'm trying to make bootable USB drive in order to instal W10. I keep getting the same error:

"Boot Camp only supports Windows 7 or later installation on this platform. Please use an ISO file for Windows 7 or later installation."

I'm running OS 10.11 fully updated, BCA 6. The W10 is x64. The USB drive is 64GB.

My MacBook Pro is a Retina, Mid 2012 and all the specs are fall into the recommended.

What could be happening?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11), Mid. 2012

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 7:32 PM

29 replies

Oct 12, 2015 9:46 PM in response to Loner T

Windows 7 works. Now, I'm not quite sure if I should proceed and update to W10 once install or what. It doesn't like it's going to work.

Ok, cancelled the bootable USB for W7. Went back and tried W10 and it worked. It goes ahead and formats. After that it just tells me "There is not enough space available on the disk." no matter what is the size of the USB drive.

Oct 13, 2015 4:29 AM in response to SailorAgave

SailorAgave wrote:

Ok, cancelled the bootable USB for W7. Went back and tried W10 and it worked. It goes ahead and formats. After that it just tells me "There is not enough space available on the disk." no matter what is the size of the USB drive.

Is this happening during the BC Assistant phase or is this reported by the Windows Installer? With the USB connected, can you post the the output of following OS X Terminal commands

diskutil list

diskutil info diskN (N should point to your USB).

Oct 13, 2015 9:35 AM in response to Loner T

The situation now is as follows:

• BCA (still) won't allow me to do a bootable usb because "Boot Camp only supports Windows 7 or later installation on this platform. Please use an ISO file for Windows 7 or later installation.".
  • I proceed to point to a W7 ISO and make a bootable device. When it's done BCA requests me to download W7 support for BCA from http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/saying BC no longer downloads support files for W7 User uploaded file
  • At this point, if I start BCA again and try to make a bootable from the W10 iso, it will let me. BCA formats the unit... and then returns an error of not enough available space on the USB (I tried a 64gb (USB3) and a 250gb external drive).User uploaded file
  • User uploaded file

If I close BCA and start all over it won't let me use the W10 again, saying: "Boot Camp only supports Windows 7 or later installation on this platform. Please use an ISO file for Windows 7 or later installation.".

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Oct 13, 2015 10:28 AM in response to SailorAgave

1. You can get W7 drivers from Install Windows 7 and earlier on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support .

2. Your USB is formatted as FAT32. Each individual file cannot be greater than 4GB. On your ISO, the install.wim file is usually larger than 4GB. Can you check?

3. This is a software failure. You should report as a bug report. I have already done it once and provided enough documentation to Apple Engineers.

Your bootable USB drive could not be created, BCA 6, OS 10.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.