Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playing Chords in Garage Band

In the Mac version of GarageBand 11, how do I pull up the chord-playing screen that the iPad version has? I'm talking about the screen that allows me to play chords simply by clicking on the name of the chord, instead of having to use a separate device such as an iPad or MIDI keyboard? I already tried controlling the Mac through the iPad, but the latency was ridiculously bad, despite the signal going through Apple's expensive/fast Airport router.

GarageBand (Mac) '11, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 8:03 PM

2 replies

Oct 13, 2015 2:31 AM in response to bruce7707

bruce7707 wrote:

In the Mac version of GarageBand 11, how do I pull up the chord-playing screen that the iPad version has?

the OS X and iOS versions of GB are very different programs.

though they share a common name, the features differ, and the smart instruments on iOS are not a part of GB for OS X (BTW GB '11 is an old version, version 6, the current version is version 10.1)

Oct 13, 2015 4:34 AM in response to bruce7707

With El Capitan you could upgrade to GarageBand 10.0(and keep garageBAnd '11 installed as well,if you prefer it). GarageBAnd 10 is very different from GarageBand '11, but it offers some features similar to your iPad version. You can use Logic Remote to play GarageBand projects on your Mac using the iPad as the keyboard, you have smart drums, smart strings, and arpeggiators to play chords automatically.

Playing Chords in Garage Band

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.