Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google chrome not working with El Capitan

I recently downloaded and installed El Capitan and since doing so have been unable to open Google chrome. Safari works just fine (however I dislike it). Attached is what comes up when I try to open Google Chrome. Please help!!

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 9:36 PM

22 replies

Jan 21, 2017 11:25 AM in response to dialabrain

After following the recommended steps, in Finder, getting it to show the Library, then I went to Application Support. Next, I located and opened the Google folder.

I then CREATED A NEW FOLDER and named it "Chrome".

Next, I copied the googlechrome.dmg file into the Google folder, right clicked the .dmg for "Get Into," set all users to "read and write" and then launched the googlechrome.dmg file from the Google folder by double-clicking it.

In opening the Chrome folder, I did NOT need to delete anything in this folder.

It only took me an HOUR to figure this out, but it FINALLY worked.

Protip: Read all of the offered solutions to familiarize yourself with the file structure and how to get your LIBRARY to show before attempting my solution. I tried ALL of these other suggestions and NONE of them worked--until I figured out what Dialbrain was trying to tell us.

This was run in MacOS Sierra Version 10.12.2.

Oct 12, 2015 9:47 PM in response to babrahams3

Hi,

That seems strange. I upgraded to the El Capitan and chrome worked fine. Would be interesting to find out what version of the apple OS were you using prior to the upgrade to El Capitan? Did you attempt to remove and reinstall chrome? I am also getting a feeling there may have been some other issue that occurred with the machine while the upgrade was happening but please let us know.

Jan 5, 2016 4:30 AM in response to babrahams3

If it won't open at all (won't even bounce), this worked for me.

Go to Users/your-user/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/ and delete SingletonLock.

Now try and open Google Chrome. If the SingletonLock was the culprit, it will create a new one and open properly.

If you can't see your User Library (not your hard drive Library) you can try following these steps:

http://osxdaily.com/2013/10/28/show-user-library-folder-os-x-mavericks/

Jan 13, 2016 10:46 AM in response to gobroncos66

gobroncos66 wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem as the original poster. Chrome won't launch at all. When I tried:

"Go to Users/your-user/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/ and delete SingletonLock", there is no SingletonLock. There is a folder for extensions, but nothing in it.

Any other advice?

Download Firefox. You shouldn't be using Google Chrome; it's questionable business practices aside, Chrome is a notorious RAM hog. It requires a lot of "helper" applications to run, and if you open up your Activity Console, you'll see that. Neither Firefox, nor Safari, require anything other than itself to run. You could also try Opera, if you like neither Firefox, nor Safari.

Mar 13, 2016 4:17 AM in response to Yellow Collar

1. You must be able to see hidden folders in Finder. Research how to accomplish.

2. Download fresh copy of Chrome, save to downloads.

3. Delete Chrome from applications directory.

4. Navigate in Finder to: (your computer)/Users/(you)/Library(hidden folder)/Application Support/Google/Chrome <-delete the Chrome directory.

5. Reinstall Chrome from downloads.

May 11, 2016 12:25 AM in response to babrahams3

Google Chrome was working fine for 3 months after I upgraded my mac book pro to El Capitan version. However, yesterday, my google chrome starting to show problems. It didn't open google chrome window, so I uninstalled all and moved it to trash. I downloaded many times google chrome for mac os 10.9 and later. But it wass not opening at all. Therefore, I decided to unsinstall completely again and now I don't know what to do to solve this issue. I like safari but I also enjoy google chrome features. Can somebody tell me how to make google chrome to work again in El Capitan Mac book pro? Thanks

Google chrome not working with El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.