Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera flash disabled

I have an iPhone 5 running 9.0.2.

Sometime recently after an update I noticed the camera not working. I could it the camera switch button and the rear facing camera would work. I then hit the camera button again and noticed the warning button. Attached are the screen prints that show what I see. what do I need to do. Is it a hardware issue or is it software? I don't remember my phone falling or anything physically happening that would have damaged the flash. Any advice would be helpful.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 10:45 PM

16 replies

Oct 12, 2015 11:24 PM in response to craighamer

Like the message says, for some reason the phone is getting too hot and that's why the flash is getting temporarily disabled.

Are you playing graphic intensive games or watching videos before that? There has to be a reason that the phone is getting too hot.

If this happens during normal use, and to make sure that this is not software related, restore the phone to factory settings, without using any backup data. Then test the phone if it is getting hot again. If it does not, restore from the latest backup. If the problem comes back, the backup contained damaged data, causing this issue.

If setting it back to factory settings does not change that, the device has to be checked, in that case the problem could be hardware related.

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

If the device exceeds a certain temperature threshold, it will present a temperature warning screen similar to this:

• The device stops charging.
  • The display dims or goes black.
  • In navigation:

The device will present this alert and turn off the display: "Temperature: iPhone needs to cool down."

• Navigation will continue to provide audible turn-by-turn directions. When approaching a turn, the display will illuminate to guide you through the turn.
    • To return the device to normal operation, press the Home Button and slide to unlock. If the device has cooled down enough, you can continue normal usage.
  • Cellular radios will enter a low-power state. The signal may weaken during this time.
  • The camera flash is temporarily disabled.

User uploaded file

To resume use of your device as quickly as possible, turn it off, move it to a cooler environment, and allow it to cool down.

copied from Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

Oct 13, 2015 4:02 AM in response to ktjensen

I have read about cases where the battery replacement triggered this error message or had other effects on the hardware inside the phone.

If Apple or an Authorized Apple Service Provider replaced the battery, bring it back and let them fix it. Repairs done by Apple are covered by a warranty as well.

If a 3rd party service did that, they will have to fix it, Apple will not service phones that have been opened by the user or a 3rd party repair shop.

Oct 13, 2015 4:21 AM in response to Ingo2711

Ingo - yes I was thinking this could have happened as I did have my battery replaced recently about three weeks ago. I so infrequently use my flash or flashlight that it could have started back then. Also I did get flashlight working for a little while, so just wonder what is going on. Likely some subtle issue with the water exposure sensor, or the battery overheating sensor that shuts it off. of course I would expect some error message to flash up mentioned that, and have seen nothing.

Am sure apple knows what the issue is, and has fixed it in the iphone 6 and 6S versions, but they sure are not going to spend millions mentioned there is a fix. Know that pure speculation and conspiracy theory. But given the previous battery swelling issue, not getting repaired by apple (used a third party) and happening on this iphone5 could be related.

Oct 13, 2015 8:29 AM in response to craighamer

it could have still been the battery replacement process. You might have a loose connection that worked completely loose after a years worth of normal motions. But there is no way to get a warranty action on that. My suggestion is to find a third party and ask for a camera/flash replacement module cost estimate. My local shop is charging me $50 if that is what is wrong and needs to be replaced. inspection is no additional cost, and could be an easy connector fix.

good luck.

getting a completely new replacement iPhone is the last resort, and maybe apple store has a repair replacement deal, or the repair shop does. Remember that you cant sell it if the flash is broken as that false advertising for a sale (unless you disclose that).

Oct 14, 2015 3:55 AM in response to Ingo2711

apple will service an iphone that is touched by a third party. You just do not tell apple genius bar that a third party serviced it, unless you want no repair for your $250 iphone 5 (the current retail used price for a working one).. And who is to know if the third party is a certified repair facility (my local third party is apple certified). The facility you brought it to could have been apple certified. Not trying to argue, but really want the point to be clear about getting a $250 used phone working again, when apple is mostly really good technology. Try getting a Samsung repaired.

Oct 15, 2015 6:24 AM in response to Ingo2711

Ingo - you are completely and utterly wrong. Look at this web page from apple web site

. Notice they say apple has certified repair facilities that are not apple stores. They are getting parts for repair. You just have to find a certified store near you. use the link on the apple web page to find them.

its called APPLE AUTHORIZED SERVICE PROVIDER

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

Oct 17, 2015 4:41 AM in response to craighamer

Finally found a fix for my iPhone 5. It seems to be working.----

Let me tell you what DID NOT WORK. Changing out (replacing the hardware) the camera-flash module, did not work. Doing a full restore to factory fresh, with no software, did not work. Turning various settings on and off with the camera and flash did not work. Pulling the case off the iPhone, did not work. Installing a new Iphone camera application, did not work.

Turning off the GPS link to the camera, and waiting a couple minutes with that off, WORKED!!!! Making sure GPS selection for the camera remains off, seems to work to keep the flash functional.

So it is the IOS9 upgrade (and rumor is that some have the same issue in older IOS 8 and IOS7 upgrades). Apple has not acknowledged the problem in any context, and will attempt to have the repair store sell you a refurbished replacement for $200 or more.

My suggestion is that there are several ways for the flash to have issues, but the user should keep trying them all before spending $200 for a replacement that might not work. And I wonder if apple store would give you back the $200 if the flash stopped working in 24 hours, or if there would be a fight to get that back?

Camera flash disabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.