Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore New Phone from Old Phone without Backup Password?

So like apparently many other people on here I have managed to somehow forget the password I set for the encrypted backup. I've tried everything imaginable to guess it, from my list of saved passwords and all the variations I might use and no luck.

I'm hoping that shouldn't be a problem, since I have the old phone in one hand (4s), the new phone in the other (6s), the only authorized computer in front of me, signed into my apple and icloud accounts with my Apple ID and password. I have already deleted the old backups from my computer through iTunes but everything I've read about creating a new backup without this encryption password involves a reset on the old device, which defeats the purpose of the whole backup process to begin with. I've also restored to iCloud but that also has the encrypted backup.

Is there seriously no way to take all these devices I'm currently holding in my hands and simply move data from one to the other without this one password holding the whole process up or losing everything with by restoring the old phone to factory settings? Or if I go ahead and restore from iCloud, am I forced to take this unknown encryption password forward with me to my new device?

iPhone 6s, null

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 11:42 PM

There are no replies.

Restore New Phone from Old Phone without Backup Password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.