Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won't turn on! I've tried everything suggested on other forums! I'm completely stumped! Please help 😔😓

hi guys having a spot of trouble getting my iMac to start.

I've recently downloaded and tried to install El Capitan, but it would not instal and I would consistently get messages saying it was corrupt and to try again.

i Can't revert back to Yosemite as every time I turned it on it would load straight to the instal for El Capitan.

After this I tried booting in safe mode, recovery mode, tried reseting the PRAM, but it wouldn't let me do anything.

In recovery mode, i Couldn't wipe my hard drive, couldn't use time machine, nothing would work.

since then my Mac boots up and gets to the apple logo and then shuts itself down.

ive been trying all week to recover it using every method suggested on other forums and I am now fed up and tired!

i need someone to shine some light on my problem 😟

thanks in advance!

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 5:07 AM

5 replies

Oct 13, 2015 8:50 AM in response to helpwhereitsneeded

If you could tell us some more information:

1. Which Mac is it that you have?

2. Do you have any error messages or any coloured screen?

3. Any specific sound or no sound when you try to start it up?

4. Have you tried to Hold the D key while booting up to run Hardware Diagnostics?

5. Have you disconnected all cables and plug them back in and try again? Did you try another plug too?

Oct 13, 2015 11:22 AM in response to helpwhereitsneeded

its an imac g6, as far as technical specs go I can't give you any information 😟 I apologise, not really that technical with computers.

there are no coloured screens, when I turn the Mac on its chimes as normal and gets as far as the apple symbol then shuts itself off.

i Have tried to disconnect all cables and left it for half an hour the reconnected and tried to turn it on again with no success. I'm just trying to start it up holding d and I will let you know what happens.

thanks for the help! It's So stressful

Oct 13, 2015 1:34 PM in response to helpwhereitsneeded

Hi helpwhereitsneeded,

To identify your iMac,

1) Look under the foot for the serial number. See Find the serial number on your iMac - Apple Support

2) Go to https://selfsolve.apple.com/

3) Login if you aren't already.

4) Enter your serial number and click the 'Continue' button.

5) The screen will refresh. To the right of the picture of the iMac, it will tell you which iMac. For example, my iMac's serial number returns the description "OBS,IMAC (24-INCH MID 2007)".

Please do this so that we can tell which iMac you have.

iMac won't turn on! I've tried everything suggested on other forums! I'm completely stumped! Please help 😔😓

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.