Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will more RAM help my iMac run faster?

I have a 27" late 2013 iMac with two 4-GB Ram modules for a total of 8GB. Will more RAM increase the speed of my computer. I don't use any super intensive programs like Photoshop, but I do some occasional photo, music, and video editing/converting, as well as the usual programs everyone uses like Chrome and MS Office. I would like to see faster performance, as there are occasional beachballs.

Should I replace my existing RAM or just add more RAM to the two empty slots?

OS X El Capitan (10.11), 3.4 GHz i5; 8 GB Ram

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 8:06 AM

Adding memory will generally not speed up your computer however it will keep it from slowing down as more apps use memory and you get near your maximum amount of ram your computer will starting swapping memory to the hard disk. The hard disk is slower than memory so your computer slows down. Put in simple terms.

If speeding up your computer is the goal of your question i offer the following info.

Generally its impractical to add a faster cpu.

But...

Do you have a hard drive or a solid state drive in your computer.

If you have a hard drive adding a solid state drive (SSD Drive) will greatly increase speed.

If you already have a solid state drive not much more you can do.

Post back if there if you are interested in adding a this type of drive as there are some things to know before installing this type of drive depending on the brand of drive and the operating system you are using. Perhaps start a new question on the topic rather than extending this one.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2015 8:06 AM in response to Arandel

Adding memory will generally not speed up your computer however it will keep it from slowing down as more apps use memory and you get near your maximum amount of ram your computer will starting swapping memory to the hard disk. The hard disk is slower than memory so your computer slows down. Put in simple terms.

If speeding up your computer is the goal of your question i offer the following info.

Generally its impractical to add a faster cpu.

But...

Do you have a hard drive or a solid state drive in your computer.

If you have a hard drive adding a solid state drive (SSD Drive) will greatly increase speed.

If you already have a solid state drive not much more you can do.

Post back if there if you are interested in adding a this type of drive as there are some things to know before installing this type of drive depending on the brand of drive and the operating system you are using. Perhaps start a new question on the topic rather than extending this one.

Oct 13, 2015 8:07 AM in response to Arandel

For the uses you seem to be involved with, 8 GB should be enough.

When you get to a point where your getting beach balling and otherwise sluggish

performance, open Applications->Utilities->Activity Monitor and check CPU and

Memory usage. In particular on memory usage, check the number of Page Outs.

This is a measure of how often memory swapping is being done due to low RAM.

If this number is zero or very small, then RAM is not your problem.

FWIW, Chrome seems to be quite a memory hog.

Oct 13, 2015 8:26 AM in response to Arandel

More slowness issues are related to third-party programs than lack of RAM when one has as much as you. The following are much more likely suspects in slowness issues like you have described:

1) Are you running any anti-virus/internet security applications?

2) Are you running any "cleaning/tune-up/optimizations" applications?

3) Any peer-to-peer or torrent downloading software?

4) Any third-party disk backup software that came bundled with an external hard drive?

5) Any online backup scheme other than iCloud (Carbonite; GoogleDrive; MS One Drive)?

6) Did your financial institution ask you to install Trusteer EndPoint Protection (also known as Trusteer Rapport)?

Will more RAM help my iMac run faster?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.