Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When backing up and restoring an iPhone through iTunes, does the computer matter?

Hi,

My 5s usually performs its backup to my home desktop.

I just received a 6s and would like to backup my 5s onto my work notebook, and then restore that backup onto my new 6s.

My question is:

When I plug my 5s into my notebook, can I make a local backup there and then perform the restore onto my new 6s? Or will iTunes object to the 5s' backup because it isn't to my home desktop?

Thank you for your input.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11), null

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 7:35 AM

1 reply

Oct 15, 2015 9:15 AM in response to mac_neophyte

The issue isn't so much with the backup, as with the restore. iTunes no longer backs up applications so your iTunes library at work won't necessarily have all of the components needed for the restore. In addition Apple devices like to be synced to a single library so if you set everything up at work you're going to have problems when you want to update the device at home. See Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device for more information and advice if you still want to go ahead.

tt2

When backing up and restoring an iPhone through iTunes, does the computer matter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.