Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use Tab after Bullet list?

Hi,

I'm new to Mac, so forgive my foolishness.

I'm also very new to Pages, so bear with my limited knowledge on this app.

I don't know how to say the question in one sentence, so I'm just going to explain it step-by-step:

• I use Bullet to made a list, by clicking the Bullet option on "Bullet & List" feature.
  • I started writing "Name" at the first bullet, usually I push the Tab button (in MS Word) so the caret will jump to the next indent mark and started writing the ":" symbol.
  • But in Pages this can't be done, what should I do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), MacBook 12" with Retina Display

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 6:57 AM

12 replies

Oct 13, 2015 12:04 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Whooa, where the "f" word coming from?!?

I wrote "h3ll", not a big fat "f", that's way different, next time don't jump on conclusion and burn the bridge.

Aside from that attitude, thanks for the tip, only if you just explained what you meant is Option button along with Tab button. If you write it like 'VikingOSX' above: Option-Tab, then I would've figured it out. The way I read it; it was like you're saying find an option for tab!

I'm ******* new to Mac and Pages, didn't I said it already?!?

Oct 13, 2015 11:05 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

No we're not, there you go again jumping on conclusion like we're speaking the same language.

Try talking / write longer, that way there will be no miscommunication, especially to a noob like me.

One more thing: most of the time everyone in forums write Option, Tab, Shift, Enter, etc. in uppercase, its the norm. But you wrote them in lowercase, so I misunderstood it automatically. Not to mention you don't use minus ( - ) sign, or next ( > ) sign to indicate it's buttons / keys combo.

Oh, Peter, Peter. Why o why would you wrote them all in lowercase and with no minus or next sign?

Oct 14, 2015 12:05 AM in response to andy js

It was in ****ing italics

That didn't distinguish it enough?

If I add other characters such as your minus or > would that not confuse you even more as to whether you had to type those as well?

Further I use a very Clear Shorthand > For > Steps > In a Procedure, And/For/Folder paths. This is not steps.

I have been doing this for many years here and you are the first to not get it.

So - congratulations > 😉

Peter

Oct 14, 2015 4:20 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

No it does not distinguish it enough.

Since when writing in italics means keyboard keys combo?!?*

Italics is more useful to understate something like I just did above, if you want it to meant for keys combo then you should explained it before or afterwards. Uppercased is the norm, and no using "-" or ">" symbol would not confuse me more, in fact it'll instantly make clear, unlike the plain italics.**

Yes, using "-" or ">" will explain it as a procedure or steps or combo etc. including this keys combo.

Either way, it's clearer instead of not using.

For a simple and close example: 'VikingOSX' used it in his/her post up there, I instantly understand.**

It's the ****-ing norm, how hard is it for you to accept it?!?*

Oh, I get it. You're trying to be different, or to be a minimalist; writing as short as possible.

Sure, that's fine if the other side understand it. If not, then adding "-" or ">" will help a lot while you're still being a minimalist.*

Okay, you have been doing it for many years here.

Good for you, maybe you've created a new norm here using just italics to explain that means for keyboard keys combo.

But not at outside, I'm from outside, I'm a noob, rememba?

Have you gone outside, have you participated in outside forums?

I'm sure you'll find exactly what I've described: uppercase and signs are the norm to quickly describe a keys combo, procedure, steps, etc.

Thanks for congratulated a noob like me for not understanding the clever-minimalist combo that you created and used for many many years here. You have just gloriously described me what to expect in the people at this forum, I guess a noob is always meant to be bullied by a lucky snob.*

Oh, and thanks for dropping the "F" bombs so many times. Never had that many in a thread anywhere else before, well Apple communities sure is different, huh?*

* note: now that's how italics should be used.

** note: insert "I'm a ****-ing noob!" immediately after you seen this star sign.

Oct 14, 2015 10:15 AM in response to andy js

I was actually a trainer and know exactly what I am doing.

I stand on my statement that adding extraneous characters that you are not supposed to type adds to the confusion of all users not just new users. Especially as there are keyboard shortcuts where you do have to type - or >.

It has worked and worked well here and elsewhere. Particularly as option tab is not steps it is a simultaneous action, clear enough to almost anyone when I say "Hit option tab"

May I say the confusion may be at your end, I note how you write the wrong words when you mean others for example.

I take particular care to write clear and succinctly in these forums, editing and formatting my posts so they serve as a good reference. It doesn't always work though for everyone because everyone has some preconceived notions wedged in their heads and many can't concentrate long enough to take it in, but mostly I am on a winning formula. Perhaps not today.

Cheers.

Peter

PS It is always the one who stands and shouts at the counter about how right they are who insists that he is being badly treated. Would you like your money back sir? Or would you like to come around this side of the counter and pretend to listen whilst turning your thoughts as to whether you left the tap running upstairs?

How to use Tab after Bullet list?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.