Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I purchased Logic Pro 8 in 2008, and then upgraded last year to Logic Pro X. Last week I replaced hard drive and added RAM. Now version X only sees grayed out .exs files. Unable to open .exs files in LPX

Unable to open .exs files in LPX.

I purchased Logic Pro Studio 8 in 2008, and then upgraded last year to Logic Pro X. I was able to use all my version 8 samples and instruments in version X. Last week I replaced my hard drive and added RAM. Now version X only sees grayed out .exs files.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 6:26 AM

5 replies

Oct 13, 2015 8:16 AM in response to Scorpii

Hey Scorpii, thanks for reply...

Yes I can still access the old HD. I copied over all the Logic folders as they were on the old drive. So my exs files are in a folder HD>Library>Application Support>Logic>Sampler Instruments. I tried copying the exs files into the 'EXS factory samples' folder, and refreshing the library in the LPX app, but it doesn't see the exs files.

When I try to load in an exs file from the software instrument, the default navigation path is to my Music folder>Music Audio Apps>Plug-In Settings>EXS24. However, in this folder, the exs files appear grayed out.

Also, for example, inside the app library, Orchestral>Strings, there is only one string instrument, instead of approx 30, and it is a .caf file in the 'EXS factory samples' folder.

Anyone any thoughts what the problem might be?

Oct 13, 2015 2:01 PM in response to emfs77

You could maybe try deleting your

Logic preferences files and re-booting logic.

That's if you've copied over all of your samples & instruments from

your old HDD.. You need to make sure that all of your files have been copied..

So you will need to copy almost everything from:

HDD>Library>Audio>

There are a couple folders in there you don't want to copy depending on what hardware etc

you have connected but I strongly recommend you do not copy the following folders from that directory

to your new HDD. The 3 folders in the Audio directory I'm telling you not to copy I've hi-lighted for you in the following picture.

User uploaded file

Also you need to make sure you have the complete directory from:

Library>Application Support>Logic.

You need to copy the complete 'Logic' folder to your new HDD..

You may need to delete/un-install your LogicProX.app and then go to

your apple account and re-download it and re-install everything from scratch.

Usually when I change out a HDD I'll reformat the new drive and then do a complete

install of all my apps and plugins.. A huge job but very worthwhile the effort I feel.

So I don't actually do that unless I really need because when you're doing a lot of audio work

in studio you can't afford too much downtime.

I purchased Logic Pro 8 in 2008, and then upgraded last year to Logic Pro X. Last week I replaced hard drive and added RAM. Now version X only sees grayed out .exs files. Unable to open .exs files in LPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.