Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late-2005 Power Mac Quad startup issues

My Power Mac Quad Core on Snow Leopard has a startup issue. I was getting the "black screen of death" a lot and had to manually restart. Now I start it up and wait. It spins and then this whirring sound starts. The only thing to do is manually shut it down. I caught (after many attempts) the CD drive before it closed and placed the startup disc in it. Of course, when it starts up, I have to go to Disk Utility just to get to the harddrive to select it and restart. It's not recognizing the harddrive without this process. Does anyone have a clue what may be causing this? I would take it to the Geek Squad, but don't want to spend another $200. It's been a great computer and I hate like anything the thought of selling it for $200. I have a new 27" iMac, but I want my Power Mac as a backup unit. Help!

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 8:43 AM

15 replies

Oct 22, 2015 11:02 AM in response to gaylyns

gaylyns wrote:

I'm sorry, but it's kind of sad that a Mac helper on this website doesn't realize that Mac has never had an Alt key.

What's sad is that you don't know that a Mac has an alt key. What is even sadder - and I know you don't know this - but you are dissing one of the most helpful, knowledge members of this support community.

Take a look at your keyboard again. Take a closer look.

Oct 22, 2015 11:32 AM in response to gaylyns

gaylyns wrote:

I'm sorry, but it's kind of sad that a Mac helper on this website doesn't realize that Mac has never had an Alt key. No "sometimes" about it. You still didn't answer my question reliably or respond to my saying I've tried everything. No need to respond again. Thanks just the same.

If you've tried "everything" then there is no hope, it will never work again, and there was no point in posting. As no one here is psychic we don't know what is included in your "everything."

Regarding the ALT key:

User uploaded file

Oct 23, 2015 7:54 AM in response to gaylyns

OK. You guys have really let me have it and I deserve it. I've been a real CAPITAL 'B'---- lately and I apologize to you all. Truly, I didn't have my information together before posting in the first place, and I truly had never seen that little alt on my keyboard until you mentioned it. Please, accept my apologies - everyone. I'm tucking in my tail and crawling back into my hole. I can't say never to be heard of again - that's a maybe. I may change my account name before returning again, however.

Late-2005 Power Mac Quad startup issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.