Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transfer mini mac to imac

i cannot find migration assistant in system preferences, where is it. Also i have a usb cable to hook them both up to transfer the info, can i use this? i see some lists call for a different cord, which i do not have.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 8:42 AM

Applications -> Utilities -> Migration Assistant

You will need an ethernet cable. Or both systems being on your local network (which can be WiFi or Ethernet to you router).

If you want backup one to an external drive via USB, then move the drive to the other and use Migration Assistant, you can do that.

Depending on the Macs involved, you maybe able to use Target Disk mode with the correct cable, but that gets tricky. Google "Mac Target Disk Mode" and you will find information about that.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2015 8:42 AM in response to jasepaul81

Applications -> Utilities -> Migration Assistant

You will need an ethernet cable. Or both systems being on your local network (which can be WiFi or Ethernet to you router).

If you want backup one to an external drive via USB, then move the drive to the other and use Migration Assistant, you can do that.

Depending on the Macs involved, you maybe able to use Target Disk mode with the correct cable, but that gets tricky. Google "Mac Target Disk Mode" and you will find information about that.

transfer mini mac to imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.