Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

updated ipad to 9.0.2 but itunes 11.4 doesn't recognize. Tried to update itunes and said i needed latest OS which my computer is too old for. Am i totally unable to backup ipad?

Updated ipad to 9.0.2. Connected to Mac mini and was told that i need to update itunes to backup ipad. Can't download latest version of itunes cause i have Mac OS 10.6.8. Is there no way to get access to my ipad on my Mac short of buying a new computer?

iPad Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 10:28 AM

You tell us nothing about the computer itself. It may be possible to upgrade to OSX 10.8.5 or higher which is required by the newest iTunes.

Options if you cannot upgrade: iTunes Store purchases, including movies, can already be downloaded directly. Use iTunes Match or Apple Music to put non-Store music in iCloud, then download to your device from there. Backup your device directly to iCloud over a wireless connection. Photos can be downloaded from the Camera Roll using iPhoto, Image Capture, or PhotoStream. Transfer other files with Dropbox or similar services.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2015 10:28 AM in response to WilliamTPenn

You tell us nothing about the computer itself. It may be possible to upgrade to OSX 10.8.5 or higher which is required by the newest iTunes.

Options if you cannot upgrade: iTunes Store purchases, including movies, can already be downloaded directly. Use iTunes Match or Apple Music to put non-Store music in iCloud, then download to your device from there. Backup your device directly to iCloud over a wireless connection. Photos can be downloaded from the Camera Roll using iPhoto, Image Capture, or PhotoStream. Transfer other files with Dropbox or similar services.

Oct 14, 2015 8:31 AM in response to WilliamTPenn

Check that your computer is compatible with Mountain Lion/Mavericks/Yosemite/El Capitan.

To check the model number hold down the option/alt key, go to the Apple menu and select System Information.

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) model number 7,1 or higher

MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) model number 5,1 or higher

MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher

MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) model number 2,1 or higher

Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher

Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher

Xserve (Early 2009) model number 3,1 or higher

Your Mac needs:

OS X v10.6.8 or OS X Lion already installed

2 GB or more of memory (More is better - 4 GB minimum seems to be the consensus)

8 GB or more of available space

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported after 10.6.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

Do a backup before installing, preferable 2 backups on 2 different drives.

updated ipad to 9.0.2 but itunes 11.4 doesn't recognize. Tried to update itunes and said i needed latest OS which my computer is too old for. Am i totally unable to backup ipad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.