Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express Model A1392 Unexpected error after "hard reset" to factory defaults

Hello,

I know there have been many submissions on this question, but I cannot find a solution, after reading all of the posts and following all of the recommendations. So...I purchased a refurbished A1392, with the intention of using it to extend my WiFi network, in a roaming configuration. My base station is an Asus RT-AC66R. I was able to get the unit to reset. I then selected "Return to factory defaults" from the utility. Once I that was done, I cannot get the AE to start up. The AE appears In the settings menu on my iPad. When I select it, the "Gathering information..." message appears, but the process always ends with "Unexpected error. Try again."

I have an iPad Air 2 with the latest iOS 9 version installed. I have been trying to access the AE via both "Settings" and the Airport Utility. The utility is the latest version available in the App Store. I have tried to access the AE to reconfigure it both with an Ethernet cable connected and without the cable connected. Nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions for how to end this loop would be appreciated.

Scott D.

iPad Air, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 8:07 AM

1 reply

Oct 13, 2015 9:22 AM in response to sadaunhe1

Unfortunately, there is really not much more that you can do other than try another factory default reset or two on the AirPort Express to see if AirPort Setup will recognize the device.

Try a factory default reset as follows:

Power off the AirPort Express by pulling the power cord from the back of the device

Wait a minute

Hold in the reset button first, and keep holding it in for another 8-10 seconds while you simultaneously plug the power back into the AirPort Express

Release the reset button after the 8-10 second hold period, and allow a full minute for the AirPort Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

If the AirPort Express will connect permanently to the Asus modem/router using a wired Ethernet cable, connect the cable from one of the four LAN <--> ports on the Asus modem/router to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Express.

If the AirPort will be used to try to wirelessly join the Asus wireless network, then an Ethernet cable would not be used at all for that type of setup.

Power off the iPad and then restart it to see if AirPort Setup can recognize the AirPort Express correctly.

On the iPad home screen, tap Settings, then tap WiFi and tap on AirPort Express under the heading of Setup a New AirPort Base to see if AirPort Setup will recognize the AirPort Express so the setup can continue.

If you continue to see the same "error", then you may likely have a defective AirPort Express that will need to be replaced.

Airport Express Model A1392 Unexpected error after "hard reset" to factory defaults

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.