Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes no longer syncing/importing apps from iOS devices.

Weeks ago, I started noticing that apps updated on my iPhone 5 were no longer being synced back into iTunes. I then noticed this was also the case on my iPad Air 2. I believe this was occurring even before the iOS 9 and iTunes updates.

I just went through each thing to check and try out to remedy the issue - the final step of which was to do a complete erase and restore of iOS 9 on the iPhone. Updated an app on it and same result in iTunes. It's not syncing the apps back into the iTunes Library. The Mac Pro is fully authorized via the store, etc.

I can update the apps via iTunes on the Mac, and they're then updated on the iOS devices. This is super strange. There are times when I'm trying to lighten the load on my home internet usage and use the cellular connection on the iPhone to assist in that, in terms of app updates, etc.

Anyone out there with any idea on this?

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 7:46 AM

8 replies

Oct 13, 2015 8:18 AM in response to slurpee

https://developer.apple.com/library/watchos/documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/AppDis tributionGuide/AppThinning/AppThinning.html - iOS9 App Thinning > "Slicing is the process of creating and delivering variants of the app bundle for different target devices. A variant contains only the executable architecture and resources that are needed for the target device." ... "The App Store will create and deliver different variants based on the devices your app supports." In order to make apps smaller with iOS9 they are being customized for the specific hardware on which they are to be used. For example the variant of an app downloaded for a retina iPad may not be suitable for a non-retina iPhone. You transferring from an iPad to a computer to an iPhone may result in the wrong version being used and Apple now has it that transfers must be direct from the Store to the device to ensure the correct version is delivered.

I don't know about "double speak". It is done to reduce storage space on the devices by only including the code absolutely necessary for a device. I guess Apple could have included code in iTunes to handle the device-specific versions but then the average user (who is not always technically minded) might get confused as to why they had multiple copies of an app in iTunes, and would then complain about Apple using too much space on their hard drive. You just can't win. If you want a backup copy on your computer you can transfer a non-thinned version directly from the Store to the computer which should you need it can be transferred to any i-device (but will take up more room).

Nov 1, 2015 9:32 AM in response to woodmeister50

This has been absolutely brutal for our professional environment. We MUST test the updates of our apps to make sure we're familiar with the changes - before using them in front of large groups of people. Process: update on iPad (updated apps HAD blue dot under icon, or appeared in the App Store - Updates Tab); test the apps out (sometimes 5+); then sync with iTunes at the end of the week. "It just workED". No more. Only way to proceed is to update on our MAC first via iTunes - so the apps will disappear from the Updates Tab (iTunes). Plus now, we have to remember (insane!) the apps we've updated since we can't see the updated apps on the iPad's App Store page. App Thinning or not, saving space or not. No warning from Apple at their Keynotes peddling the latest hardware they know we'II have to purchase soon ... No excuses for this. Brutal!!

Nov 2, 2015 8:24 AM in response to woodmeister50

People keep on saying "vital functionality". It isn't. How apps are structured has changed and keeping the old functionality would probably result in a lot more people unjustifiably complaining to the app developers about problems simply because they synced the wrong version. I guess the alternative solution would have been for Apple to keep multiple versions of each app on your computer (hands up who would be complaining about that instead) to match all the versions you need for your different devices, and to block syncing incorrect versions (hands up who would not have read the technical documentation about this and would have complained to Apple about an app they "already" had in iTunes not syncing to a second device).

Even if you consider it "vital" you can still download your apps. Yes you can! You just have to do it from the app store to each device you own. Okay, I know this is going to severely annoy those with limited bandwidth but you are a minority and technology companies have learned there will always be 5% who can't/won't make the changes and they have to weigh that up against the masses who will welcome or at least accept the changes.

I don't know how much thinning has reduced app sizes (I own absolutely no apps at all). If it is like the last thing I remember being thinned back in OS9 days ("native" applications with pre-native code) it is maybe 10% or so. I guess for somebody who has 500 applications on a 16GB phone this makes a difference.

Nov 2, 2015 9:20 AM in response to woodmeister50

What do you mean no meaning? Maybe it doesn't affect me but I know what is going on. People can have expertise when they are not personally affected by something (ask a doctor). You can have a 100% available recovery. Simply download the unthinned version to your computer. Like the old "Fat" (PPC & 68k coded applications) they will run on everything should the need rise but they will be larger because they contain code for every variant of iOS and hardware.

iTunes no longer syncing/importing apps from iOS devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.