Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX messing up a lot of clips

i got a sony a6000 and a sony a7s, that i shot a documentary on, during two days. most clips are 1080p25, a few are 1080p100

after importing the clips into FCPX, they show up with so many issues that i have a hard time wrapping my understanding around how it can even be explained. but i’ll try.

i had a promise pegasus attached at the time of import, and i selected to transcode the media.

first of all i should say that when i open the packet content of the FCPX library, i see all the 25p files, and they’re OK! but their representations in the FCPX UI is just total chaos.

some are represented by their proper icon (most, actuallyt).

many are represented by a compound clip icon.

some are represented by a black frame.

some with a red alert icon saying ‘modified file’.

some by a red alert saying missing camera’

next:

all files with a regular icon are playing back every second frame as black, also when skimmed, creating a very jittery playback.

some of these are played back fine the first time, until next FCPX restart.

if i work on these issues for an extended period of time, the files may playback black only, while audio is played back as expected.

at one point, even those files that had a compound clip icon are chganged for a black icon, and are playing back as black.

next:

some of the files have the same file name given by the camera, but that doesn’t mean those are the files that have wrong icons etc.

most of the files from the second day of recording are more OK than the ones from the first, even with the overlapping file name thing.

i’ve checked the cameras’ date and time setting. they are fine (an hour off though), - can’t be part of the issues.

when i inspect the files in FCPX, and select the ‘extended’ metadata view, absolutely all files from both cameras have the same ‘camera ID’

i guess the issue has more with FCPX messing up the metadata, than with the cameras giving files the same file name.

i’ve opened the FCPX library on three macs, running both 10.10.5 and 10.11, plus both 10.2.1 and 10.2.2 versions of FCPX, and it seems the issues are the same.

i did save an archive from both cameras, but i haven’t gotten the overview whether all the files are there

more:

some of the clips were recorded at 100fps. at one point, they could be viewed in the FCPX UI, but at the moment, they are the ones with a ‘missing camera’ icon. also, those files cannot be found inside the FCPX library on the RAID.

so, does anyone have some insights?

how can i go about tricking FCPX to see all files without messing things up?

could i *do something* to the files to avoid more problems?

User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 9:24 AM

2 replies

Oct 14, 2015 7:38 AM in response to horne9

horne9 wrote:

i’ve opened the FCPX library on three macs, running both 10.10.5 and 10.11, plus both 10.2.1 and 10.2.2 versions of FCPX, and it seems the issues are the same.

i did save an archive from both cameras, but i haven’t gotten the overview whether all the files are there.

more:

some of the clips were recorded at 100fps. at one point, they could be viewed in the FCPX UI, but at the moment, they are the ones with a ‘missing camera’ icon. also, those files cannot be found inside the FCPX library on the RAID.

User uploaded file

If the results are the same on three different systems, the fault lies with the library, not with the software.

The camera icon usually indicates the media was not properly offloaded to the drives from the camera. You were probably using the camera's cards for playback and did not realize it. Since you also say the files are not in the Library, that would be my first guess, they're were not copied. Happens to me, too.

Your archives will be your salvation here. You can reimport from the archive or start a new Library.

The wonks who have experienced similar issues will have better advice for you.

Oct 14, 2015 7:53 AM in response to horne9

Also…

The alert icon in the lower left indicates that some import process was not completed…often that in transcending (optimizing). The alert in the upper left indicates that the clip was over-cranked for slo mo.

You can try re-- transcoding one of the clips with the camera icon, but guessing that you'll ultimately need to reimport (from the File menu).

Russ

FCPX messing up a lot of clips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.