Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows partition unaccessible after upgrading to El Capitan

I recently upgraded my 2013 MBP to El Capitan and since then, I haven't been able to access my bootcamp windows partition.

The allocated space is still taken up by the partition and writing "diskutil list" in Terminal gives the following:

User uploaded file

There aren't really any important files on the Windows partition, so having to reinstall it is merely an inconvenience. I would, however, like to know if there is a way to simply restore the partition to its previous state.

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 8:38 AM

17 replies

Oct 13, 2015 10:41 AM in response to Rinsletify

If you notice, your 250GB disk has two parts, 190GB and 40GB, and you have about 20GB unaccounted for. This is where the lost NTFS header is likely resident.

Please post the output of the following commands.

diskutil cs list

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

The "sudo" commands will prompt for your password, and it will not be echoed back. You may also see a warning about improper use of "sudo" and potential data loss due to "abuse" of the command.

Oct 13, 2015 12:03 PM in response to Loner T

Ohh boy, that seems like an adventure.

Before I begin, can I ask you what my options are? It seems to me that using Disc Utility to combine the three partitions and just reinstalling windows would be a more efficient solution to an amateur like myself. You don't seem to like that idea, however, so can I ask you what's wrong with Disc Utility?

Or can I perhaps use Time Machine to go back to Mavericks? I did create a backup just before upgrading to El Capitan.

Oct 13, 2015 3:22 PM in response to Rinsletify

Your options are

1. Backup OSX via TM, boot into Internet Recovery, erase internal disk, restore from TM. Re-install Windows.

2. Use BCA to remove Windows, merge partitions to get all the disk space in a contiguous chunk, re-install OSX for Recovery HD, and use BCA to re-install Windows.

3. Use the Testdisk and GPT Fdisk to look of roost NTFS headers, modify the partition based on Testdisk results using GPT Fdisk, reboot and test.

If your Windows is a clean new installation, #1 is the easiest. If you do not want to re-install Windows, #3 works. #3 is pretty straightforward. Do not be daunted by all the gobble-de-gook. 😉. IT may help you in the future when Windows has been in use and you do not/cannot re-install Windows.

Oct 13, 2015 2:09 PM in response to Loner T

I have now successfully merged the partitions and re-installed OS X. However, I am unsure about the state of my Recovery HD. According to -diskutil list I still have 650 mb dedicated to the Recovery HD, but I can't choose it with the startup manager. I seem to remember being offered the option before upgrading to El Capitan though I have never actually used it.

User uploaded file

I'm honestly not sure whether I fully understand the purpose of the Recovery HD as I have all my backups on an external HD. Do I even have a problem right now?

Windows partition unaccessible after upgrading to El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.