Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music display jumps to song currently playing

In the past, I have played music on iTunes in the background while working on my library, usually adding Info such as composer, year, genre, etc. that wasn't included when the music was original ripped or downloaded. With the newest version, 12.3.0.44, I cannot effectively work on My Library because the Music display keeps jumping to the song currently playing. Right now, I have been listening to Halloween sound effects, which are 1 - 30 second tracks. It's moving faster than I can focus. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 8:57 AM

3 replies

Oct 15, 2015 10:12 AM in response to turingtest2

Actually, iTunes has NOT always done this. Granted, I had not updated in the past 3 years because one of the updates 3 years ago would not let me search or organize in my classic iPod. It is possible it has done it for awhile for those who always updated. If I understand your answer correctly, it is not accurate. I am playing music from a playlist, but trying to edit info in the display of the entire library and it keeps jumping to the current track playing. Did I understand correctly that you were suggesting that it wouldn't happen if I were playing from a playlist? With about 45,000 tracks and 1/3 terabyte, it sometimes takes quite a bit of searching to find what I want to edit and I find it very irritating to have to do a search again to get back to what I was working on every time a new song plays. I don't understand why the "show current song" isn't an option that can be turned off or on.

Oct 15, 2015 11:02 AM in response to charlesobannnon

If you're playing music from a playlist and that is making the main list jump to the current track, which I've just observed here, that may be new behaviour. I'm pretty sure it has done it before when viewing and playing from the same source although I've been using iTunes since version 6 and I cannot recall the exact nature and and date of each change.

Make a smart playlist with a rule such as Playlist is Music, or make a playlist that identifies the content that you plan to edit in some way. As long as you have started media playing in the main library or some other playlist you can then use the new playlist to make edits to your metadata.

I don't understand why the "show current song" isn't an option that can be turned off or on.

Neither do I. Ctrl+L will take you there when you actually want that. Try iTunes Feedback.

tt2

Music display jumps to song currently playing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.