Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't search within Comments in Numbers ??

Have others noted this, or could it be a bug specific to my situation?

It makes no difference if the Comments are Hidden or Shown, btw.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 10:30 AM

I can confirm that text in comments is not searchable. You can post feedback to Apple using the menu item :

"Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback"

As a work around you can use shapes (since text in shapes is searchable):

User uploaded file

If you want to "hide" the notes, highlight the table, then bring the table to the front (so it is on top to the shapes) using the menu item:

Arrange > Send to Front

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2015 10:30 AM in response to rprescot

I can confirm that text in comments is not searchable. You can post feedback to Apple using the menu item :

"Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback"

As a work around you can use shapes (since text in shapes is searchable):

User uploaded file

If you want to "hide" the notes, highlight the table, then bring the table to the front (so it is on top to the shapes) using the menu item:

Arrange > Send to Front

Oct 13, 2015 11:49 AM in response to Wayne Contello

What I meant is that needing to have a work-around like this is odd, not that your unique solution is odd. The Numbers help info claims that Comments are searchable via the Find and Replace function.

You can search for specific words, phrases, numbers, and characters, and automatically replace search results with new content that you specify. All visible text in tables, text boxes, shapes, and comments on all sheets is included in the search.

Can't search within Comments in Numbers ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.