Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean Installed El Capitan. Previous Messages are not listing, is this normal?

Hello,

I was previously on Mavericks 10.9.5 and iOS 8.1.4. I decided to upgrade to El Capitan and iOS9 simultaneously. I opted for a clean install of OSX to start afresh.

I can see that all my iCloud related files have migrated apart from messages. Previously, on Mavericks, once I logged into iCloud all of my iMessages used to synchronise and update with my Mac messages app but with El Capitan it did not do this. None of my old messages, which are on my iPhone, appear on the Mac Messages app.

However, if I receive a new message this is shown within the Messages app. BUT, if I delete a message on Mac then it does not delete on iPhone and vice versa. Previously on Mavericks, this used to be in sync as well.

I spoke to an Apple Senior Technician who said the Mac Messages app had gone through radical infrastructure change in El Capitan meaning it is no longer compatible with old messages but from this point on everything will be synchronised.

Can anyone else, who did a clean install of El Capitan, confirm that previous messages are no longer restored on El Capitan?

Many Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 9:08 AM

There are no replies.

Clean Installed El Capitan. Previous Messages are not listing, is this normal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.