Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After updating, window with A's inside of squares

After updating (item that was not automatic), I get window with A's inside of squares, see screenshot. Anyone know what this is?

User uploaded file

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 8:54 AM

5 replies

Oct 13, 2015 11:10 AM in response to jadf

Back up all data before proceeding.

Launch the Font Book application and validate all fonts. You must select the fonts in order to validate them. See the built-in help and this support article for instructions. If Font Book finds any issues, resolve them.

Start up in safe mode to rebuild the font caches. Restart as usual and test.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t start in safe mode. In that case, ask for instructions.

If you still have problems, then from the Font Book menu bar, select

FileRestore Standard Fonts...

You'll be prompted to confirm, and then to enter your administrator login password.

Also note that if you deactivate or remove any built-in fonts, for instance by using a third-party font manager, the system may become unstable.

Oct 13, 2015 8:00 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you for this. I restarted in safe mode. Not sure if it worked. The only time I get that window is after manual update for Mac App Store items.

After checking Font Book, I realized that I was in View/Custom instead of View/Sample and that is when I got the A's with square. And they were fonts of foreign languages.

Wouldn't the font for this window come from Mavericks/System/Library/Fonts folder? I'm going to restore standard fonts and see if that works next time I have to manually update the App Store.

Thanks again.

After updating, window with A's inside of squares

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.