Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use my iMac to view two different documents/apps on dual monitors? All I can find is mirror image or extended screen.

At work, I use two monitors so I can work on a document on one screen while having a second document or reference material on the other screen (it's a PC). I added a second monitor to my iMac, but cannot find a way to duplicate what I am doing at work. Will the Mac not do this? If it does, how do I set it up? All I can find is mirror-image or extended screen instructions. Thank you.

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 9:14 AM

3 replies

Oct 13, 2015 2:06 PM in response to Duane

Thank you so much for responding. What you suggested is what I did, but all that does is give me a wider screen. What I need to do, for example, is have email open on one screen while Word is open on the other and be able to work on either. Right now I am at work and have this screen open on one screen and an Excel spreadsheet open on the other. Both are functional and my cursor just moves from screen to screen.

I have found this, does it seem safe? http://www.macworld.com/article/1039969/iMacScreenSpanning.html

Thank you.

Oct 13, 2015 2:12 PM in response to Vinsky54

What you are doing is correct, you just need one more step.

After opening Word, drag the Word window into the other screen. Now you can work on Excel in one screen and Word in the other.

That other utility is for iMacs which don't support extended desktop. That article is very old (probably 10 years).

Can I use my iMac to view two different documents/apps on dual monitors? All I can find is mirror image or extended screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.