Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

start up screen asks for user name and password. I have not set that up ever and have no access to the computer at all

I have a problem startin up my MacBook Pro. I get a grey screen asking for username and password.

I have never used that function and cannot access the computer at all.

In fact I can only write on the parword area as I cannot click into the username rectangle...

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 10:53 AM

5 replies

Oct 13, 2015 1:32 PM in response to lllaass

I have a similar problem and am desperate to get it sorted and as you seem very experienced I wonder if you could help me please? I cleaned down my Macbook Pro 13" 2009 a few months ago and when I went to charge it up to show a prospective purchaser that it worked, it required a password. No recollection of installing one. I did Command R and got into Utilities and then Terminal but I was unable to type reset password as it said -bash: reset: command not found. Could you help please or should I take it to the Apple shop? Thank you, Linda Smith

start up screen asks for user name and password. I have not set that up ever and have no access to the computer at all

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.