Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring iPhoto 8.1.2 library to new mac

used migration assistant to move files to new Mac iPhoto 09 library needs to be upgraded whenever iphoto prompts me to do this on new Mac it won't make it over 20%

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2015 1:57 PM

With the amount of information you've provided it's impossible to offer a solution. We can't see your computer so we need to know the details of your problem and setup, i.e.:

• what system are you running on the new Mac?
  • what version of iPhoto are you running? Or are you running the new Photos app?
  • what fixes have you tried?
  • where is your library located?
  • did you apply any updates or upgrades just prior to the problem occurring?
  • are you running a "managed" or "referenced" library?

User uploaded file

• what type of Mac?
  • how much free space on your boot drive?

User uploaded file

Are you using the new Photos app on the new Mac? Also do you still have the old Mac where you can run the iPhoto First Aid on the library? If so run the First Aid on the iPhoto 8.1.2 library and then manually copy it to the Pictures folder on the new Mac.

When the copying is done drag the library onto the Photos icon in the Dock to start the migration to the new Photos format.

User uploaded file

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2015 1:57 PM in response to Texastown

With the amount of information you've provided it's impossible to offer a solution. We can't see your computer so we need to know the details of your problem and setup, i.e.:

• what system are you running on the new Mac?
  • what version of iPhoto are you running? Or are you running the new Photos app?
  • what fixes have you tried?
  • where is your library located?
  • did you apply any updates or upgrades just prior to the problem occurring?
  • are you running a "managed" or "referenced" library?

User uploaded file

• what type of Mac?
  • how much free space on your boot drive?

User uploaded file

Are you using the new Photos app on the new Mac? Also do you still have the old Mac where you can run the iPhoto First Aid on the library? If so run the First Aid on the iPhoto 8.1.2 library and then manually copy it to the Pictures folder on the new Mac.

When the copying is done drag the library onto the Photos icon in the Dock to start the migration to the new Photos format.

User uploaded file

Oct 14, 2015 7:48 AM in response to Old Toad

ON the new system I am running 10.9.5

new computer version of iPhoto not sure won't let me access about iPhoto menus due to wanting to upgrade library

old version of iPhoto 8.1.2 on old Mac

fixes/ it wanted me to keep updating things on my old computer but would not let me update iPhoto at all

my library is located in the pictures folder of the user account

yes I applied iTunes updates and I believe I updated the os of the new Mac

am running a managed library

the old Mac is a 2009 iMac 3.06 ghz Intel core 2 duo

the new Mac is mini 2.5 ghz Intel core i5

I Used migration assistant over a network connection I can see all the photos on the new Mac in the pictures folder

thanks for your time

Oct 14, 2015 1:56 PM in response to Texastown

First try the following:

1 - launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down to open the First Aid window. Be sure to follow the circled recommendation in the screenshot.

User uploaded file

2 - apply Option #4, Rebuild Database.

If that doesn't fix the library so you can use it connect the two Macs together and manually copy the library from the old Mac to the new Mac. The Migration Assistant has been know not to play nice with iPhoto libraries.

User uploaded file

Transferring iPhoto 8.1.2 library to new mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.