Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect iPhone, can't install new iTunes

Once again, I'm having issues with my iPhone and iTunes for Windows. Despite having connected successfully just a couple of weeks ago to backup, sync, and rearrange my apps. when I connect today I get the message "The iPhone [iPhone 6 Plus name] cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes."

The iTunes version is 12.1.2.27, 64bit.

The computer is a 2-year-old Dell AIO with an i7 processor and 16GB of RAM, no slouch, with Windows 8.1.

The iPhone 6 Plus is running iOS 9.0.2

So I dutifully go to download the latest iTunes installer. When I try to run it, nothing happens. In Task Manager, I see an iTunes Installer process that's taking no CPU and 0.1MB of memory.

When I try to run the installer as administrator, I get the UAC dialog, which of course I allow, but in this case, an iTunes Installer process doesn't even start.

I have done a full shut down and restart and tried installing with nothing else running. No dice.

So, 2 questions:

Why is my current version of iTunes not able to work with my iPhone?

Why do I consistently have so much trouble installing iTunes for Windows? (This is far from the first time an iTunes upgrade has been seriously problematic.

Note: If the "solution" is to uninstall and reinstall iTunes, why should that work? When I worked at Microsoft Product Support back in 1990, when customers had serious problems, the lazy techs trying to keep their call volume up basically dismissed customers by saying "reinstall Windows." Such a "solution" does nothing to identify and solve what caused the problem in the first place, even if the result worked. While I want to get iTunes working again with my iPhone (just got a bunch of new ELO CDs I'm ripping to put on my devices), I want more to know what the actual problem is that's preventing me from accomplishing my goal.

Dell AIO-OTHER, Windows 8

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 9:26 AM

4 replies

Oct 13, 2015 2:53 PM in response to twriter

twriter wrote:

Why is my current version of iTunes not able to work with my iPhone?

The answer to that question is simple enough: "The iPhone 6 Plus is running iOS 9.0.2" which iTunes version 12.1.2 did not support. I wonder if Apple Software Update has been dysfunctional ever since you last installed iTunes or you just don't like being bothered with software updates? Since you prefer not to uninstall and reinstall, what happens if you click "Check for Updates" under the Help menu?

(If you don't see the Help menu, click the button in the upper-left corner and select "Show Menu Bar.")

If you still have the HP running Windows Vista mentioned in your Bio, then there is a very good reason why it would be stuck on version 12.1.2: Because Apple officially ended support for Vista with the release of iTunes 12.2.0 on June 30. (Apple has nevertheless released a special version 12.1.3 that supports both Vista and iOS 9.) However the Windows 8 PC you mention just needs an update to iTunes 12.3 for iOS 9 support.

Oct 28, 2015 10:19 PM in response to twriter

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The top image is one of the less helpful error messages I've encountered in my 20+ years of both using and developing software (no, errors are never "OK"), the middle image is what the currently installed version of iTunes reports, and the bottom image is what itunes.com reports is the current version. Pretty obvious from the middle image just how bad the iTunes code base is if it can't even get this simple thing correct.

<Edited by Host>

Oct 29, 2015 8:18 AM in response to twriter

I have seen many more cases of people stuck on version 12.1.2 since you first posted. The top image is at least correct: You cannot support an iOS 9 device with version 12.1.2, and you could certainly download the latest version - in fact I'm surprised that you haven't done so by now. Like you I'm not impressed by Apple's support for Windows to say the very least. (There have actually been five updates since 12.1.2 was released in April.) Before uninstalling 12.1.2 and installing 12.3.1, you might want to try repairing Apple Software Update via Control Panel > Programs and Features > Uninstall a program, right-click on it and select Repair. That might possibly get Apple Software Update to sing a different tune. [Edit] Was that perhaps the "for older video cards" edition of 12.1.2? It seems like maybe ASU isn't functioning well with "for older video cards" editions.

Can't connect iPhone, can't install new iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.