Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp "Could not create bootable USB, not enough space on USB"

Hello, i am trying to install windows 8.1 on my macbook air 13 ( mid 2012 )

I am trying this all day. I am following the instructions how to install windows with boot camp. When it comes to like 50% of copying windows files on my USB it says "Could not create bootable USB" "Not enough space on USB" and thats it.

My macbook specs: 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and El Capitan OSX. Oh and yes, i tried with 8GB USB and 32GB USB and its the same result every time.
This is how it looks my Boot CampUser uploaded file

I hope you guys know how to fix this

Thanks 🙂

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2017 3:59 PM

I have have an idea that I am not certain about at all. In fact, I found it in a youtube comments for trying to fix bootcamp "Not enough storage fix". I have been trying to install windows 10 to my Mid-2012 MacBook Pro for a couple days and have had the same issue. Back to the article, it seems like what this guy is trying to say is that windows is shooting themselves in the foot by automatically formatting the usb that you plug in to FAT-32. This way of formatting is currently the only format to be able to boot windows with a usb, of course if you have a newer model, you don't even need a usb. FAT-32 has a system that 1 file cannot be larger than 4 GB, that subtracts the fact of people saying that they got 8, 16, 32 GB- WHO KNOWS! (Minimum 8) People have been wasting time with getting bigger usb's when its useless. The certain file in this iso file that you have downloaded is known as "install.wim" which can vary depending on the iso. This file (especially if its a windows 10 iso) Is larger than the FAT-32 requirement. So honestly, the only fix so far would be to find a iso without a file being larger than 4GB. Please test it out Apple Community and again, its Apple shooting themselves in the foot. The link for the youtube video comments. (Mind the video its just a random fix for bootcamp)

Fix Error Your bootable USB drive could not be created - YouTube

By the way its the top comment by "Robin Sy"

If you want to see his portion (The dude who found this out)

I had the same issue about my Bootable USB drive that couldn't be created by BootCamp. My bar stayed stucked like everybody here, and I ended up with an error messages. Then I started to think and I made some researches... and I may have founded the real problem : If you're installing any version of Windows (7/8) with an ISO file : 1) You'll note that the "install.wim" file located in "source>install.wim" (in your Window ISO file) is probably over 4 gigabytes. Ok. If it's not, don't bother reading the rest. 2) But : When creating a Bootable USB Drive with BootCamp Assistant, the software will automatically format your drive in a FAT32 format. Ok. 3) Then, I just learned that this very format, FAT32, have a file-size limit of 4 Gigabytes. Meaning it can't copy or receive any file over this limit. As an example : After formating your (X) Gygabyte drive into a FAT32, try to paste any file superior than 4 gb in it. Even if your drive is perfectly empty and is 1TO big, you won't be able to do it. You'll be prompted "Not enough space in the disk" or something. I searched, there is no way around this limit. No-way-around. It was designed like this... And sadly, FAT32 is the only Bootable format for MAC. More explanations here : http://www.winability.com/why-cant-i...b-flash-drive/ So I said to myself : "Hey, maybe that's why I'm getting this error message, because the format does simply not take this "install.wim" file, (witch is the heavier file in any ISO) - (4,56 Gygabytes in my case)"..."The bar gets stuck halfay because it's a long file to copy, and then my software figure that he won't be able to copy it because of this size limit, so BAM, error message "An error occurred while copying Windows files". Duh, Apple , Duh. Your BootCamp Assistant works just fine, it's just the format he use that ruin the hole process. He is copying the ISO files into your USB Drive, and as it is formated in FAT32, if you happend to have a file superior than 4Gb, you'll get an error. Well, I might have a "simple" solution : Depending on the ISO you dowloaded : the Bootable USB Drive will not be created if your ISO size is over 4 Gygabytes. More precisely, it will not be created if your "install.wim" file located in "source>install.wim" (In your Window ISO file) is over 4 Gygabytes, or if any other files in your ISO is over 4 Gygabites. Personnally, I downloaded two ISOs in my "journey" to install Windows. The one I struggled with in vain (4,56 Gygabites), and the other one that worked (3,95 Gygabytes). Don't ask me why those ISOs have a differents size for the same exploitation system, I won't be able to answer you. Just try it out : If you're having the "your bootable usb drive could not be created" error message, just, simply just check your ISO file size (right click > get information). If it's over 4 Gygabites, well, you know where it come from now. So : Try to put your hands on another ISO under this size, and it might just work fine... I know, this is a bad news, but it is probably your only solution. To be clear and sum this thing up : In your ISO file : "install.wim" > 4 gb = NOPE ! Won't work. FAT32 is a B. In your ISO file : "install.wim" < 4 gb = SUCCESS ! You'll thank me later. So, why is it working for some and not for others ? Well, I didn't knew the probablilty that an ISO can be heavier than another even if it is for the same goal : Installing Windows. I won't say it's all about the size, boys, but... You'll understand the joke here. I really hope this post will help, if you have any questions or precisions on this, just ask, i'll stick around daily here this week until this thing is solved... (I'm sorry if I type any mistake, English is not my native language - Fren

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2017 3:59 PM in response to drdre4321

I have have an idea that I am not certain about at all. In fact, I found it in a youtube comments for trying to fix bootcamp "Not enough storage fix". I have been trying to install windows 10 to my Mid-2012 MacBook Pro for a couple days and have had the same issue. Back to the article, it seems like what this guy is trying to say is that windows is shooting themselves in the foot by automatically formatting the usb that you plug in to FAT-32. This way of formatting is currently the only format to be able to boot windows with a usb, of course if you have a newer model, you don't even need a usb. FAT-32 has a system that 1 file cannot be larger than 4 GB, that subtracts the fact of people saying that they got 8, 16, 32 GB- WHO KNOWS! (Minimum 8) People have been wasting time with getting bigger usb's when its useless. The certain file in this iso file that you have downloaded is known as "install.wim" which can vary depending on the iso. This file (especially if its a windows 10 iso) Is larger than the FAT-32 requirement. So honestly, the only fix so far would be to find a iso without a file being larger than 4GB. Please test it out Apple Community and again, its Apple shooting themselves in the foot. The link for the youtube video comments. (Mind the video its just a random fix for bootcamp)

Fix Error Your bootable USB drive could not be created - YouTube

By the way its the top comment by "Robin Sy"

If you want to see his portion (The dude who found this out)

I had the same issue about my Bootable USB drive that couldn't be created by BootCamp. My bar stayed stucked like everybody here, and I ended up with an error messages. Then I started to think and I made some researches... and I may have founded the real problem : If you're installing any version of Windows (7/8) with an ISO file : 1) You'll note that the "install.wim" file located in "source>install.wim" (in your Window ISO file) is probably over 4 gigabytes. Ok. If it's not, don't bother reading the rest. 2) But : When creating a Bootable USB Drive with BootCamp Assistant, the software will automatically format your drive in a FAT32 format. Ok. 3) Then, I just learned that this very format, FAT32, have a file-size limit of 4 Gigabytes. Meaning it can't copy or receive any file over this limit. As an example : After formating your (X) Gygabyte drive into a FAT32, try to paste any file superior than 4 gb in it. Even if your drive is perfectly empty and is 1TO big, you won't be able to do it. You'll be prompted "Not enough space in the disk" or something. I searched, there is no way around this limit. No-way-around. It was designed like this... And sadly, FAT32 is the only Bootable format for MAC. More explanations here : http://www.winability.com/why-cant-i...b-flash-drive/ So I said to myself : "Hey, maybe that's why I'm getting this error message, because the format does simply not take this "install.wim" file, (witch is the heavier file in any ISO) - (4,56 Gygabytes in my case)"..."The bar gets stuck halfay because it's a long file to copy, and then my software figure that he won't be able to copy it because of this size limit, so BAM, error message "An error occurred while copying Windows files". Duh, Apple , Duh. Your BootCamp Assistant works just fine, it's just the format he use that ruin the hole process. He is copying the ISO files into your USB Drive, and as it is formated in FAT32, if you happend to have a file superior than 4Gb, you'll get an error. Well, I might have a "simple" solution : Depending on the ISO you dowloaded : the Bootable USB Drive will not be created if your ISO size is over 4 Gygabytes. More precisely, it will not be created if your "install.wim" file located in "source>install.wim" (In your Window ISO file) is over 4 Gygabytes, or if any other files in your ISO is over 4 Gygabites. Personnally, I downloaded two ISOs in my "journey" to install Windows. The one I struggled with in vain (4,56 Gygabites), and the other one that worked (3,95 Gygabytes). Don't ask me why those ISOs have a differents size for the same exploitation system, I won't be able to answer you. Just try it out : If you're having the "your bootable usb drive could not be created" error message, just, simply just check your ISO file size (right click > get information). If it's over 4 Gygabites, well, you know where it come from now. So : Try to put your hands on another ISO under this size, and it might just work fine... I know, this is a bad news, but it is probably your only solution. To be clear and sum this thing up : In your ISO file : "install.wim" > 4 gb = NOPE ! Won't work. FAT32 is a B. In your ISO file : "install.wim" < 4 gb = SUCCESS ! You'll thank me later. So, why is it working for some and not for others ? Well, I didn't knew the probablilty that an ISO can be heavier than another even if it is for the same goal : Installing Windows. I won't say it's all about the size, boys, but... You'll understand the joke here. I really hope this post will help, if you have any questions or precisions on this, just ask, i'll stick around daily here this week until this thing is solved... (I'm sorry if I type any mistake, English is not my native language - Fren

Jun 17, 2017 4:11 PM in response to JuggyBooh

If an ISO contains more than one Windows product or is a mixed 32-bit/64-bit ISO, it is possible for install.wim to be larger than 4GB. Microsoft's website (W10 as an example at Software Download here) will allow you to specifically download a proper ISO which has a smaller install.wim which fits a 8-32 Gb FAT32 USB. The ISO itself in such cases is about ~4GB, but BC Assistant copies parts of the ISO and adds BC Drivers to make the disk boot able with appropriate $WinPEDriver$ structures. $WinPEDriver$ enables a Pre-boot Environment which is appropriate for a give Mac year/model.

Jan 6, 2016 7:53 AM in response to drdre4321

For what it's worth, i've experienced the same problem, with this notable difference:

It appears that the image size is what b0rks the creation for me. I am trying to install Windows Server 2012 r2 onto a Macbook Pro (and before the BobtheFisherman dude chimes in that "that isn't supported", I know it isn't supported. I'm not asking for support.) and repeatedly got that error.

However, comma, when I drop back and try Windows Server 2012 the USB drive is created just fine and works just fine. The difference between the two was that the 2012 iso was 3.9 GB and the r2 iso 5.3 GB.

I've tried doing the same with the Windows 7 USB creation tool and it works without issue, but the USB drive is not bootable on the MBP.

My next attempt will be to create a dual layer DVD to try from that angle. I will report back.

Boot Camp "Could not create bootable USB, not enough space on USB"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.