Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay iPhone not Recognized.

I have a 2016 VW Golf (I specifically waited for the 2016 for CarPlay, and paid a premium over the 2015 which is essentially the same car). About two times a week, It simply will not recognize the iPhone (5s, 9.0.2). I am using an official known good Apple cable. 80% of the time it works (albeit with some annoying buggy behaviors that I assume will get fixed at some point, but that's another post) But sometimes, like today, I plug the phone in and I get the "reading USB device" message, and nothing happens. I disconnect and reconnect, nothing happens. I reboot the phone, no go. I reboot the head unit by holding the power button for 30 seconds, and that doesn't work either. Rebooting both devices and trying again - same.

I've had the car in to VW - they see no issues, and there are no software updated for MIB II.

I have no way to determine what the issue is. It's always done this since 8.0.3.

How do I get this to work reliably? How do I even begin to figure out where the problem actually is?

Extremely frustrating.

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2015 4:00 AM

I have the exact same issue. 1 or 2 times a week just connects and says not available.

Now my head unit keeps resetting its self after it doesn't connect.

have you had any luck with a fix?

3 replies

Jan 19, 2016 10:20 AM in response to Samsenj

Same here, in the netherlands, the iPhone 6s of my wife connects in a second and my iPhone 6 is a big pain in the a... just cannot get it connected, VW is pointing to Apple and apple sends me a new cable... a new iPhone cable that i already own an works perfectly with the 6s of my wife... i cannot get the **** iPhone 6 to connect to my Discovery Pro of my VW Passat GTE... and there are so few posts about it on the internet..... it is incredible.. googled my *** off, but no posts on how to fix....apparently Carplay is not that mainstream yet or very impopular...

Aug 16, 2016 8:24 AM in response to wqerwqerwqerwqer

I have a Jetta TDI 2016 (in México, MK6 I believe) and I also get this problem much more often than I would like. It happens maybe once a week, and I usually have to just leave the iPhone disconnected and hear the radio. Next time I get into the car it works fine.

A friend bought a Golf 2016 (MK7, IIRC) and this happens also to him.

I strongly believe there is a bug with the VW software, but so far I haven't found any update anywhere for the unit.

I have my service coming in a few weeks, I will ask the VW shop, but I don't really think they will know anything about it, much less be able to fix it. But who knows, maybe they do have some update for the unit available to try.

CarPlay iPhone not Recognized.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.