Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where do I find support for iPhoto 6

After several years of not using iPhoto 6 (I switched to Lightroom) I opened the application today only to discover that my photo library is not functioning correctly. Is there anywhere where I can get advice with this like I used to be able to on Apple Support Communities?

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iMac, Mac OS X 10.6.8, iMac 3.06

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 12:09 PM

Ask in the iPhoto forum. It is still there: iPhoto for Mac

I'll ask the community hosts to relocate your question to that forum.

only to discover that my photo library is not functioning correctly

What exactly is happening, when you try to open iPhoto?

9 replies

Oct 13, 2015 12:22 PM in response to Yer_Man

After several years of not using iPhoto 6 I opened it today only to discover that none of the thousands of images are displaying. Instead I got a message asking me to choose an iPhoto Library. After selecting my library I clicked Choose and once again nothing displayed and when I right clicked on the library and selected Get Info it said there was only 14.9 GB in the file. I checked in my manual and it said try repairing permissions which I did. Still no images. Next I tried holding down the Option/Command keys while launching iPhoto and clicking all the boxes in the Rebuild Library. The progress bar appeared for 1/2 second and then nothing...almost like there was nothing to rebuild. I have no clue why any of this is happening and don't know what to try next. Any help would be most appreciated!

Oct 13, 2015 1:50 PM in response to léonie

I still have iPhoto on my iMac but I stopped using it when I moved to Lightroom several years ago. Actually I had forgotten, but I updated to iPhoto 9 when I bought a new iMac in 2011 as it came with that version installed. When I stopped using iPhoto 09 I left the Library and everything else just as it was. Since then I have on occasion gone back into iPhoto to bring images stored there into Lightroom 3 for reprocessing in Lightroom and I have not had any trouble with the Library until today. Each time I moved images from iPhoto 09 to Lightroom 3 I did it by exporting the images from iPhoto and then importing them into Lightroom. As far as I can recall I haven't done anything that would have broken the link to the Library.

Oct 13, 2015 2:48 PM in response to WhatMeWorry?

If all else fails you can recover your original image files as follows:

Starting over from scratch with new library

Start over with a new library and import the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from your original library as follows:

1. Open the library package like this.

User uploaded file

2. Launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and, when asked, select the option to create a new library.

3. Drag the subfolders of the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from the open iPhoto Library package into the open iPhoto window a few at a time.

User uploaded file

This will create a new library with the same Events (but not necessarily the same Event names) as the original library but will not keep the metadata, albums, books slideshows and other projects.

Note: your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

User uploaded file

Oct 13, 2015 8:06 PM in response to Old Toad

I tried a dry run of your suggestion and many of the files didn' show up. I will give you a screen shot of what did:

User uploaded file

Clearly something is amiss. It's been so long since I last used iPhoto that I have no memory of how the program stores images and thus have no idea of what might be behind all this...and I am wondering if I have accidentally misplaced files etc? Can you tell by looking at the screen shot what might be wrong?

Thanks!

where do I find support for iPhoto 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.